What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create this Font effect

Zuzu

I wanted to add this exactly same font to my gif in photoshop but Im just a newbie. I need to know how to do this effect so I can write what I want.

This is the pic and the font effect I want.
stas-fedorov-retwowave2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is just three layers of the same text, copied and colored on separate layers.

Make one text layer and copy twice....Cmd/Cntrl + J
Change each layers color in the order you like. I sampled the colors from your sample image.
Blue
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.21.45 PM.png

Green (ish)
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.21.52 PM.png

Pink
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.21.59 PM.png

Use the Move Tool and the directional arrow keys to reposition each text layer to where you want it!
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.22.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.22.50 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The rest of the effects would be a little more involved...........

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.35.44 PM.png

It would take a Glint Brush and a second copy of the pink text layer, converted to a smart object for editability, with a motion blur filter, lowered opacity.

Zuzu

I can't believe how easy it is to make this effect with 3 layers, I just need to work more with the colors. Thank you so much! Photoshop_Yef2ymmuyr.png

JeffK

Guru
I thought that you might be able to do this with Layer Effects/Stroke so played with it a bit. As close as I could come was Drop Shadow with 0 spread.
I realize the images are not as sharp as if you had 3 layers of type overlapping - but it does give it a cool blending effect. Bit like neon.
Never know until you try... :cheesygrin:

retro wave drop shadows.jpg

1647473711876.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you so much!
You're very welcome!

but it does give it a cool blending effect. Bit like neon.
Definitely a cool effect.

Great minds think alike! I originally came up with the same solution of using a layer style (which I posted then later deleted), but changed my mind! Here's why I did not post this technique. In pre 2015 versions of Ps, the double stroke (or adding an extra stroke) was not an option. I wanted to offer something that's very simple for a newbie who may be running an older version of Ps.

This is with the drop shadows......
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 7.10.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 7.14.47 PM.png

Here is an example of a layer style interface for Ps CC 2014. No way to add additional drop shadows.
04fig36_alt.jpg

JeffK

Guru
I always forget we're not all using the same version.
I agree that using 3 layers of colored text is simpler with less variables than using layer styles. I just sometimes can't stop myself from poking at things. 😁

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I probably should have asked what version they were using. :oops:

I can recall post history. Here was my first response........in the red shaded area. The original request was edited. The OP was originally asking for a PSD file.
Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 7.52.51 PM.png