What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masking Issues

Hardrocker88

I am currently having issues with vector masking on Photoshop CS4.

I am trying to crop a persons images out from a white background,
but when I do, they get masked and the background is revealed.

I don't know if there was a button I pushed, or a setting to change,
but this is how I have normally cropped all the images I do, and I
don't know why it is masking the inverse now.

Does anyone know how to change this?

iDad

Guru
sounds like you selected inverse on your selection, right click it and click inverse again

hawkeye

Guru
If it's a layer mask ctrl+i will invert it. If it's a vector mask, select the path then click the Subtract From Path Area icon at the top.

iDad

Guru
can you show us a screenshot of your workspace?

iDad

Guru
you might want to check that ;)

Hardrocker88

It's strange. I tired it out on another images, pushing the add to path area, and it worked.
For some reason though, on the images im working on, it doesn't work. So I many have
to start all over i guess, maybe some sort of glitch

iDad

Guru
check the image mode in it in index mode? if so hange it to rgb or what ever it is you need or remove background layer could be locked

TerryC

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Friend
check the image mode in it in index mode? if so hange it to rgb or what ever it is you need or remove background layer could be locked

Yikes, I was thinking that same thing. You just beat me to the reply. :p And I believe we are all using CS5, but I don't believe anything changed between versions on this. :D

Hardrocker88

Ya, I guess I was not selecting the mask correctly, but I was able to invert it by clicking the add to path (+) button on the top.
Thanks for all of your help!