What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color Effect on Starburst

GideonCahill

Would anyone teach me how the yellow blends so well with the blue on the streaky starburst? I know how to make the starburst...But when I try to replicate the effect, the yellow and blue doesnt pop out and it looks bland and really soft
golden-state-warriors-logo-wallpaper-2560x1440.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see 2 different white starbursts with lowered opacities. I see 2 different yellow starbursts with dark ring or starburst between them. And then there's the brilliant white highlight burst.

Can you post and image of your version?

GideonCahill

I see 2 different white starbursts with lowered opacities. I see 2 different yellow starbursts with dark ring or starburst between them. And then there's the brilliant white highlight burst.

Can you post and image of your version?
First I made the starburst with clouds, then motion blur, then polar coordinates.
tKHXufY.png
After that, I made a new layer, put the blue color of Warriors and set the blend mode to color. After that, I made a new layer, get a brush and put a yellow brush right in the middle. I want an effect where the yellow is not so round and kinda stretches out like you see in the pic.
Si3yhaO.png

If you can tell me how to do the blue(background) that would be even better. Thanks!

Last edited:

revnart

Power User
You should use gradient instead of brush tool. You can choose gradient tool by pressing G and then in upper left corner you can choose color and gradient type then just drag from the middle. ( remember to do tgis on a new layer). Or double click on the layer in layers panel and add gradient from there, it will be centered for sure that way, or last option add gradient adjustment layer from bottom of layers panel. If you have your gradient layer ready just change its blend mode.

GideonCahill

You should use gradient instead of brush tool. You can choose gradient tool by pressing G and then in upper left corner you can choose color and gradient type then just drag from the middle. ( remember to do tgis on a new layer). Or double click on the layer in layers panel and add gradient from there, it will be centered for sure that way, or last option add gradient adjustment layer from bottom of layers panel. If you have your gradient layer ready just change its blend mode.
I don't mind if it's exactly centered. I just don't want it to be so soft and blurry like. I want the yellow thing to burst out in a direction and not be round. If you know what I mean

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry it took so long. I was trying to match the original a bit closer. I have been trying different approaches. This is what I have so far.

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 9.02.54 PM.png

Paul

Former Member
steps.jpg
:mrgreen:

Made a copy of the OPs original splintered image, altered colours of said image added a blur then i applied three varying star brushes with differing levels of opacity then blurred those also, added a slight grunge layer with a new brush setting then played with contrast and light settings.

thebestcpu

Guru
Another starting point to consider is using angle gradients in masks in combination with a radial gradient

Starburst.jpg

- Background is star pattern (or whatever is desired)
- Solid Blue with mask of angle gradient using noise option and 80 to 100% roughness (you can use most gradient patterns and get similar results)
- Do the same with a yellow angle gradient yet hit the randomize button first (put this Layer in a Group)
- Use radial gradient on the group layer to shift from yellow to blue
- With move tool offset the yellow angle gradient from the blue one just slightly (adds interest)
- Use Image > Adjustments > Curves on both the Blue angle gradient as well as the Yellow angle gradient masks to suit to your taste

The above just gives you a starting point to consider.

GideonCahill

Another starting point to consider is using angle gradients in masks in combination with a radial gradient

View attachment 56554

- Background is star pattern (or whatever is desired)
- Solid Blue with mask of angle gradient using noise option and 80 to 100% roughness (you can use most gradient patterns and get similar results)
- Do the same with a yellow angle gradient yet hit the randomize button first (put this Layer in a Group)
- Use radial gradient on the group layer to shift from yellow to blue
- With move tool offset the yellow angle gradient from the blue one just slightly (adds interest)
- Use Image > Adjustments > Curves on both the Blue angle gradient as well as the Yellow angle gradient masks to suit to your taste

The above just gives you a starting point to consider.
Sorry, but this is really confusing. Where's the noise option and the "roughness"? Do you mind providing a screenshot?

thebestcpu

Guru
Sorry for the confusion, probably just a reflection of my mental state :)

I will assume that the biggest question is how to sent up the Angle Gradient. If there are more questions to clear up any confusion just let me know.

The image below shows the Gradient Tool, the Option to select the Angle Gradient Option, and where to click to open up the Gradient Editor

Gradient--Tool,-Options,-Open-Editor.jpg

The gradient editor will open up and look similar to the following image. Note, you can pick most any editor yet choosing the "Black,White" preset is just fine

Gradient-Editor-Open-defaults.jpg

The following image shows where to set the "Noise" type option (which makes the other options become visible), the "Roughness" and the location of the randomize button. I suggest clicking on the randomize button as many times until you see one with a goo amount of high frequency component (lots of changes in luminosity.

Graient-Editor-Custom.jpg

You click OK when you have the pattern of interest and then draw from the center of the mask to the outside to create the starburst.

After the masks are created, you can tune in the look by using Image > Adjustments > Curves to get what you want.

This is just a starting point, so if you need more help, just ask again.

Hope this is less confusing that my prior post.

John Wheeler

Last edited: