What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! - Create a net in Photoshop?

Tom Mann

Guru
I thought you were going to say that you started with a grid like this:

Untitled-1-ps02a_698px_wide-01.jpg

And then applied a vertical displacement to each point using the "displace" filter in 2D PS.

T

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
All 3D mate.

I can walk you through the process if you want....its actually not as bad as it may seem.

Regards.
MrToM.
"Please sir, may I have some more?" (Charles would be proud of me!)

Burned Ice

Power User
I'm 100% sure it's done with 3D software like 3ds max or blender, but I gave it a shot in psd anyway. Recreating it does not seem impossible at first.

While it doesn't look like the original image, I tried it with a net pattern, liquify and layer styles. I think I need a smaller net and more resolution

net.jpg

MrToM

Guru
OK...brace yourself and get your 3D hat on! :thumbsup:

The idea is simple....create a 'Depth Map' as a 3D object then apply a 'Grid' image as the diffuse map.

Told you it was simple! :biglaff:

Now the tricky bit...

The result depends on two major things....the image used for the 'Depth Map' and the image used for the 'Diffuse Map'.

In the following video I used the 'Clouds' filter as a base for the depth map but this is not ideal....it was quick and dirty just to show the procedure. If you created a depth map from scratch with a higher contrast than I used then in theory you could get closer to the 'terrain' of the OP's original example.

To edit the depth map I double clicked 'Layer 1 Depth Map' at the very bottom of the layers panel....(its not obvious in the video its a double click.)

Editing is as a 'Smart Object' PSB file.....you MUST save the file for it to take effect in the main document.

The thing to watch with the 'Grid' pattern is the proportions.....line width to spacing.
In CC onwards you have the option to 'Tile' the map as well as scale but in CS6 this is not an option.....but 'scale' does work if you need to tweak it. You can of course edit the image as normal if you cannot tweak it enough with 'scale'.

One small 'confusing' point is the removal of the 'Opacity Map'....for some reason the default material has a map for the opacity....if you look at the 'folder' icons closely you'll see the 'opacity Map' folder has some extra icon in the middle...this denotes an 'Image' is being used for the 'opacity'.

You need to remove that opacity map otherwise the material becomes transparent...in parts. This had me scratching my head for a while.....I got splinters!

All of it is very much experimental and dependent on the version of PS.
Having tried it in CS6 I can honestly say that its MUCH easier in CC+...sorry Sam.

Anyway....hopefully the procedure comes across OK in the video.....how the end result comes out depends on the time spent experimenting with those two images.

Any questions just ask....the options in 3D are overwhelming at best so the more specific the better.

6:13 No Audio. (From 5:25 to the end is just rendering..nothing else)

Regards.
MrToM.

No doubt I've forgotten something so I may edit this post without warning.

...and yes...I did lose my way positioning the light....guilty as charged. :rofl:

Last edited: