What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CC PREVIEW PROBLEM

BoloYang

Hi Guys,

I want to be able to see small "preview" when I try open file in PS CC 2015. But instead I see only PS logo. How I can see "preview" ?

ps1.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Larger file sizes will not display as a thumbnail....in Windows anyway.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
If you cannot view PSD files as thumbnails at all, and you are using Windows, then install SageThumbs...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/

You don't have to actually use it, but it will install the correct codec required to display PSD files as thumbnails.....something which Adobe used to do as standard but for some reason withdrew it from their product installation.

SageThumbs is also a free application.

Larger sized files may still not be displayed as thumbnails though....regardless.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Hi MrToM

I did actually see that application and installed it to test but it didn't work for me so I decided against posting a link to the app, that was just me it might work for the OP though!

MrToM

Guru
Strange.....

Its one of those things I have on my 'Install List' for a new install of Windows for this very reason.

It sorts out most 'thumbnail' problems as most of the codecs required for different file formats were removed from 'Win7'....as part of its 'Slimmed Down, installs quicker...' marketing campaign.

Larger file sizes still don't display thumbnails though....this had me going for some time when viewing a folder full of large PSD files.

Smaller files are fine though......I've no idea what the threshold is but here is an example...

large_thumbs_MT_01.png

Note no thumbs for the larger files.

I dunno what the reasoning behind it is.....maybe its yet another MS v Adobe argument....who knows?
It does only happen with PSD files though......???

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Found this application tested it and it works on Windows 7
https://poppeman.se/pictus/

During the install you need to put a check in the check box for PSD file association

As you can see PSD thumbnails are showing an image of the file and the one highlighted is 62mb

Preview.jpg

Works with small, large and extra large icon view

Forgot to mention it's FREE

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Excellent!

Thanks ged, good find, works a treat.....and installs on top of SageThumbs too so best of both worlds!

Lets hope it's what the OP needs too eh?

Thanks again.

Regards.
MrToM.

Tom Mann

Guru
Great stuff, guys! Thanks. This problem has never bothered me enough to do anything about it, but with the info you provided in hand, maybe I'll get off my duff and get my previews looking spiffy, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I appreciate this thread as I never knew this was a problem for PC's at all!

I will save this thread for future reference, thanks guys.

Tom Mann

Guru
I wonder if the lack of previews for PS files above a certain size may not be a desirable feature.

Imagine how slow it would be for Windows (file) Explorer to have to open one of my directories that is full of > 1 Gig PS files just to extract the tiny embedded thumbnail from each.

Tom M

gedstar

Guru
Imagine how slow it would be for Windows (file) Explorer to have to open one of my directories that is full of > 1 Gig PS files just to extract the tiny embedded thumbnail from each.

Tom M

Hi Tom M
Wouldn't that depend on how powerful you PC is, I would imagine it would be the same as using Adobe Bridge!
I just tested it on my Windows 10 PC on a folder that I have with about 28GB of PSD's and JPEG's, can't say that I noticed Explorer having any issue opening the thumbnails. Although I wouldn't have the size of PSD files that you mentioned.

P.S. there's only one way to find out give a bash. But if it goes belly up don't come running to me :rofl:

Ged

Last edited:

BoloYang

Hey Guys,

It's not SIZE problem. It's pgotoshop cc PROBLEM. In other photoshops I can see all the "preview" files. This PHOTOSHOP 2015 CC problem.

gedstar

Guru
Can you tell us which version you are talking about that you say you were able to see a preview in

This is from CS6
CS6.jpg

and this is from CC2015
CC2015.jpg

As you can see both versions show the PS logo and not a preview

If you install this app that we mentioned earlier you will be able to see a preview and not the PS logo
https://poppeman.se/pictus/

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@gedstar... Seing your CS6 screengrabs, now I'm curious.... and lost here.... lol.

I'm running CS6 extended on Win7 and can see psd preview thumbnails...

CS6ext_Open.jpg

I can also view my 50MB work files contrary to what MrTom mentioned.

I don't have any plugin installed unless there's a codec I have that I don't know about.

In my screengrab Action02 psd was created in PS7 but I don't have save thumbnails setting on (I think).....

Am I missing something here?

MrToM

Guru
...Imagine how slow it would be for Windows (file) Explorer to have to open one of my directories that is full of > 1 Gig PS files just to extract the tiny embedded thumbnail from each...
That's not quite how it works.

Windows creates its own thumbnail images and stores them in a database. If you have 'Show Hidden Files' enabled you will see a 'Thumbs.db' file created in a any folder containing at least one image file.

Once the thumb is created and stored in the database a reference to it is written in the Thumbs.db file.
Upon opening the folder the Thumbs.db is immediately read and the image thumbnails called from the database. This is almost instant.

Without the correct dll file to decode PSD files, Explorer could never even start to create a database of thumbnails....it just doesn't know what they are.

Upon installing the right codec via the 3rd party application suggested by gedstar, allowing Explorer to now create thumbnails does indeed mean that initially a folder full of large PSD images will take some time to process but as long as the Thumbs.db file remains intact and in the folder then this only has to be done once.....in fact it can be done over a period of time .... each time the folder is opened more files will be processed until they are all done. Additional files are processed the next time the folder is opened.

You could even open the folder and just let Windows process the files while you get on with something else, then close the folder when its finished, even the most basic of PC's should be able to do that without coming to grinding halt.

Opening the folder at a later date should then pull those thumbs from the database making it almost instant....as long as the Thumbs.db file is intact and in the folder.

The software suggested by gedstar certain does the job...for me anyway. One situation whereby thumbnails would never (and never have) worked was over a network...this is now fixed, as is large PSD file thumbs...sorted.

The only thing it fails on is PSD files on the desktop...they still show as an icon but how often do you store PSD files on the desktop? (The folder is fine though, its just 'on' the Desktop that fails.)

The good old trusty stable 'SageThumbs' was really good and is still worth having installed, but Pictus just adds that missing piece of the jigsaw.

Thanks again gedstar. :thumbsup:

(See what I did there......THUMBS-up!)
Never mind...I'll get me coat.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...Am I missing something here?...
Not really mate.

The file need to enable thumbs for any image file type is just a single dll file.
As part of MS's 'Slimmer, quicker' Win7 several (In fact thousands) of files were removed from the installation process....this is why XP, although good, was 'bloated' with dll's and drivers.

With the advent of faster internet speeds these files are now installed as 'updates' meaning that you only install what you need.....MS didn't count the 'thumbs' dll as 'needed'.

Adobe ditched the dll when 64bit versions of their software became available, so if you had a 64bit version of PS running on Win7 you were pretty much stuffed for thumbs.

Image viewer software developers caught on to this, (no support for PSD), and started to include the dll in their products and used it as a 'Feature' to up their marketing campaign....and it worked.

It may also be included with other software too but just not advertised as heavily....therefore you may have had it install without you knowing....but, unusually, that's a good thing!

That's how I've always understood it to be anyway.

BTW.....since when did you join the 21st century?
CS6 Ext on Win7...!!!!!

Steady now. :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
And you got there before me again MrToM
@dv8_fx

This is the thumbnail that the OP is talking about not seeing a preview of, this is from CS6 Windows 10
As you can see the PSD file shows as a thumbnail and you don't see a preview of the image
cs6.jpg

With the app installed this is what you see, you actually see the image and not the PSD thumbnail

Preview.jpg

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Sorry gedstar......and I had an ice-cream in one hand too! (Now I really do have Sticky-Keys) :rofl:

Just to save any further confusion here there isn't really a 'preview' as such, (This is what SageThumbs does).....Explorer can display either an Icon or a Thumbnail...(See my previous post about Thumbs.db)

There is also an option to display Icons only in the 'Folder' Options...

icons_thumbs_MT_01.png

So, the OP is wanting 'Thumbnails', not an Icon. (Just like the rest of us)

It may be that they have this option turned on in the options but then again they may not even be using Windows....who knows?

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited: