What's new

3D arrow effect.

panoalto

Hi,

Can anyone give some hints or point me to a tutorial for making something like this: -
arrow_thing.jpg
I only actually want to have one ring and wider but if I can just get the basic concept from somewhere, I should be able to figure the rest out.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

hi panoalto welcome to the forums

I will recommend using the pen tool to design the basic shape, then create a selection off the paths and fill it whit a linear gradient +180 degrees.

grab a circular soft brush whit 25-30 opacity and paint the shadows wherever is needed, u can use dodge and burn also

U can use layer styles to add more effects like inner glow, bevel and emboss, satin, etc.

I Found you a quick tutorial on how to paint and object, simulating a shiny 3d
effect

Glossy Scarf / Banner

" it's on a banner but same method apply "

I
Hope this helps.

iDad

Guru
there is a psd thread of these arrows somewhere? Yutosi put it out here I'm pretty sure

panoalto

Many thanks for the tips and comments.

In particular, could I ask "Colleague" how your image was formed? That is almost exactly what I want but just a bit wider. With your permission, I suppose I could just select and transform your image to my spec but that wouldn't teach me anything new. Unfortunately I only have CS3 so if it requires something only available in CS5, I'm a bit stumped. I loaded the CS4 trial when that came out but my laptop started to glow!

I also don't have any Coral applications but thanks anyway.

Regards,
Chris

colleague

Guru
I made it in photoshop CS5 and started with the arrow in 2d
arrow.png

then I created a 3d mesh and the ring was made in 3D

ls-3DTreeCylinderMenu.jpg

I rotated the ring a bit and adapted the light so it came mainly from 1 light

I don't know if you can do it with CS4