What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D Typography Golden A Filigree

Eggy

Retired Moderator
With this one I pushed PS 3D to his limits.
I'll explain but this is the result

3D Typography Golden A Filigree.png

I spent the most part of my day with a 3D project with 31 layers = 3D objects.
Not even half way PS started to stutter and lagging and most important, it kicked me out 6 times.

The only conclusion is that if you want a real and complex 3D work done, do not use PS...
I know, you've said it many many times @MrToM.
My new 3D creator's life will be with Blender. Nah.

Now for this project, I saw something similar online and I thought, I can do that.

I had the letter A (easy to find on your keyboard) and a large vector filigree texture that I turned into a PNG and clipped on the letter A.
I thought lets extrude that in PS 3D. PS kept saying 'unable to create 3D extrusion due to complex path' or something like that. No way to make that extrusion!

I wasn't ready to give up so I used a depth map to plane to extrude, and after reducing a bit the spikes a cross section on the Y axis I managed to complete this.
As you can see MrTom, not an exagerate amount of shine and even a bit of the blue reflection in the bottom of the letter.
For now no PS 3D no more for some time...
Time for a couple of beers while watching a footbal match. :beerchug:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Aw....you make me out to be some kind of martar!

I used a depth map in this thread 12 months ago but it kind of went unnoticed...they work quite well but you do need a good solid map to start with.

Your 'A' came out really good.....only another 25 letters to go!

Ya gonna do numbers too? (You're off the chain you!) :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I assume you meant martyr MrTom? :shocked:

In the link chrisdesign provided under the section typography there are a lot of beautiful examples, some drawings, some painting and digital art but in the case of digital art never a mention wich program was used. So today, just by looking at examples, I intended to recreate some more challenging examples. With PS, no luck.
It can't be the hardware (Intel I7 4770K, MSI NVidia GTX660 ti 2GB, 32 GB ram on a Win 7) so it must be the software!
So I started with this thing.
The depht map is quite simple, a crisp big black filigree vector (loaded as png) on a pure white background, merged and inversed (black down/white up) but since it is a raster pic there's grey bleeding.

Since the extrusion way didn'n worked I kept searching for a way to make it work! :devilish:
No need to say that the positioning of the filigree texture was sloppy but that wasn't my concern.

Tomorrow will be the first day of a second exploration of Blender.

If all goes well I could do the rest of the alphabeth and the numbers somewhere next week. :rofl:

MrToM

Guru
...I assume you meant martyr MrTom?..
Yeah...one of them!

...The depht map is quite simple, a crisp big black filigree vector (loaded as png) on a pure white background, merged and inversed (black down/white up) but since it is a raster pic there's grey bleeding...

I assume you meant depTH map MrEggy? :rofl:

Now this point is one of interest....its where you can be TOO good!

Let me explain...

If the PS software works anything like other software then a nice, crisp, clean transition from black to white is the absolute worst thing you can have.

At the point of transition the software cannot produce a height at BOTH the lowest point (Black) and the highest (White) and therefore does all sorts of weird stuff.

If you looked at a cross-section the highest and lowest points are actually the same point...this is of course not possible.

It cannot cope with a dead vertical extrusion....you do actually need some grey in there to create a sort of 'slope' that is as near to vertical without actually being vertical.

Just a 1px wide mid-grey stroke around the letter would improve it, although this wouldn't be the ideal. This does of course depend on the size of the image but try it...you should see an improvement AND a reduction in render time...its not trying to calculate the impossible. (like zero divided by zero!)

Any map you use for whatever reason should never have a transition straight from black to white, there should be at least 'some' grey between them, but as minimal as possible so as to keep the extrusion looking vertical.

Blurring the image slightly first can do the trick...its quick and simple...

depth_map_MT_01.png

Sorry about the crudity of the image, I didn't have to time to draw it to scale or to paint it.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
:cheesygrin: Right,

Since trying to use an extrusion isn't possible due to 'can not perform requested extrusion due to complex path' (something like that) I had to use the depth map option.

In using a depth map that crisp transition is what I am looking for, as crisp as possible...

To make it look like this

typography-dan-hoopert-feature.jpg typography-dan-hoopert-01.jpg

This is "top-class" 3D photoshop typography Eggy!
You've reached a level that is hard to top.
Though the samples of Dan Hoopert show that it's possible to create even more filigree work.
Have fun and ride the wave as long as possible.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris!

I will produce that kind of work, and in PS 3D!

I have to go out now but I'll be back. :biglaff:

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
And we're back.
Where was I?
Oh yeah, I was trying to make the letter B with filigree inside so I clipped the filigree pattern (png) on the letter B, deleted that letter and I pushed '3D/extrusion'.
The next error message came back

error 01.jpg

In my experience you have to persist and sometimes PS does the job.
So I pushed again for like 6 times until the next error message appeared

error 02.jpg

:shocked:

Is it possible to annoy a mindless piece of software to the point it gets really rude?
Apparently PS has that ability built in.

That was for fun :rofl:

but when PS finds a path too complex there's nothing else to do then use a depth map and 'cutting' of the head ending with something like this (rendered for 10 min)

3D Typography paper Filigree.jpg

and that's why I needed a crisp black/white picture to apply a depth map...

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris.

I would first zoom in and add a paper texture on it.
I'll show the final result soon.

fredfish

Guru
Nice work Eggy!

I have just started to play around with Maya as I can get a free subscription through work, but to be honest if you can produce this sort of work in PS do I really need the learning curve of a new program!

Inspiriational stuff!

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks John!

Let me say that I've not tested at full the possibilities of PS 3D yet. I'm doing that now by trying new things, like a copycat with my own twist and just to see if it can be done in PS...
Usely I don't have to use 3D in my composites unless it is to incorporate a small object and render time is not an issue then.

The major setback with PS are the render times and the possibilities are not those of a real 3D program.
I've registred with Blender somewhere last year and installed it. I did an uninstall after 3 weeks. Didn't know where to start...to much information...core temp raising to critical...meltdown imminent...eject, eject, eject...:shocked:

Now I'm in dubio, should I restart with Blender with a major learning curve while still learning PS?

I suppose it can't hurt to try Blender in between.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks again Chris.

It looks complicated but actually it is quite simple.

The only thing is to hope that PS finds the path not too complex...