What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uvunwrap

Hello everyone,
I've being trying to unwrap a 3d model i've imported into photoshop but so far i could only figure out how to open a 3d layer.
I've looked for tutorials but none of them was about what I was looking for.
__צילום מסך (15).png

I would really appriciate any advice or recomended tutorials .
Thank you very much

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'll show you how to unwrap the UV of an object, in this case a buste.

- Open a new blanc document
- Select new layer from file and import the 3D object
- Select the material of the object

Untitled-1.jpg

Click on the diffuse map and choose edit texture

Untitled-2.jpg

This is the mesh of the selected object and you can color it or apply any material on it

Untitled-3.jpg

Since I suspect you're a novice I suggest you go through the basics of PS 3D before starting with this...

uvunwrap

Thank you Eggy for your quick response. it did help up to a point.
__צילום מסך (16).png

i got my unwrapped mesh but now i wonder - how can i edit it and add texture to it?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Actually your model is very basic and has no eyes, no distinct hair, no details.
All those features need to be modelled in the 3D model before they show in the mesh.
Then you can start to paint on a new layer in the PSB file or add materials and make then fit.

Untitled-1.jpg

result of painting

Untitled-2.jpg

But the point is that you have to add details to the 3D model so those show in the mesh and you now where to paint and/or add materials!

uvunwrap

Thanx Eggy!!! those are great tips.
Just a quick question - does your answer applys if i want to use a photo realistic texture and not colors? do I still need to model the details or a much more abstract model ( as the one that i have) is sufficent?

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You'll always need the details so that your model doesn't look flat 'painted'.

uvunwrap

Ok. Thanx a lot!! but I'm using another methood and I need my unwrapping to be in one piece without any actual details. and witout using any colors.
I understand your answers and they do make sense... but im referring to another case which i guess is less standart than common... so basically im just missing the editing information and all the " How to "and less of what i should do before.
Does anyone know about editing an actual photorealistic texture to an un wrapped 3d object?

Last edited: