What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Photoshop scan a document as text , how to make duplicate for a selected object

zillah

Dear Experts

I am adobe photoshop beginner , I scanned a document from a scanner by using adobe Photoshop CS2 v.90 via option "Import"

I used for choice (text) for the scanning because there are other two choices (photo, web)

Now when I tried to modify name, date, price ,,,,etc by selection it first , then (Ctrl+J) or (Ctrl+C) Adobe just move that selected part and it doesn't make a duplicate copy!!!

I don't want to move it I need to make duplicate copy ,then move it,,,,,,,what I am missing ?

I can do that with a .jpg file

Thanks

Re: Adobe Photoshop scan a document as text , how to make duplicate for a selected ob

Hi zillah
Very little information to go on and I no longer have a copy of CS2 to check anything out.

There are a couple possibilities yet the simplest might be that the scanned image is not in RGB mode when scanned as text was put in Bitmap mode or Indexed color. Those don't have multiple Layer capability and would have the behavior you describe.

If this is the case could change the mode to RGB or just scan in a mode that puts it in RGB mode.

That's my best guess for your issue. Let us know if this helps.

John Wheeler

Re: Adobe Photoshop scan a document as text , how to make duplicate for a selected ob

Thanks John

I thought I provided all the information, I don't know what should I provide extra.

when scanned as text was put in Bitmap mode
That is right I can see that extension

If this is the case could change the mode to RGB or just scan in a mode that puts it in RGB mode.
How can I do that ? please see attached file

That's my best guess for your issue. Let us know if this helps.
Your guess hit the point

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hi Zillah

A couple ways

When scanning use the photo mode instead of text

You can also take an image that is n bitmap mode and use the two commands to get it into RGB mode from the command bar

Image > Mode > Grayscale
Image > Mode > RGB

The two steps above works if you are in bitmap mode (likely you are)

If you are in indexed color mode, all you need to do is

Image > Mode > RGB

and you are good to go.

Give that a try and see if it does it for you.

John Wheeler

Thanks John
The two steps above works if you are in bitmap mode (likely you are)
Only one step in clickable which is "Graysacle" while "RGB" was grayed out means un clickable.
Attached photo for your reference
Regards

Attachments

• Adobe bitmap.jpg
    Adobe bitmap.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

Hi zillah

Yes, only grayscale is clickable at first.

Once you change from bitmap mode to grayscale mode, the next time you use the Image > Mode command, the RGB mode should no longer be grayed out.

Again I don't have CS2 anymore yet that is how it works in all PS versions that I have.

John Wheeler

Yes, only grayscale is clickable at first.
Treat you spot it , second time RGB is clickable not more grayed out
Appreciate your help and support

FWIW, if the quality of the scan is important to you, you will be able to process the image to a higher standard (eg, deal with faded areas and other typical problems) if you scan in RGB (8+8+8 bits) instead of throwing away all but 2 bits before you even have a chance to look at it in PS. Once the data is gone, there is almost nothing you can do to recover it in PS, even if you convert it to 8 bit per channel RGB after-the-fact in PS.

OTOH, if speed and small file size is more important to you than quality, then, by all means, use the text option.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Back