What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After applying multiply blending mode, bounding box appears in layer style

Mohsin al Aulaqi

Hi,
I am new to this form. I applied multiply blending mode to black and white logo to remove the white background but when I tired to add layer style the bounding box is still there. please any help to do that.

I do not want to select the back and do masking. there is someway I have seen but do not remember in You tube to do the layer style without the bounding box.

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Return the layer blend mode back to normal.
Make a selection of the black, apply a layer mask to hide the white.
Then add the layer style. It will only appear on the black.

Mohsin al Aulaqi

Thanks Iam Sam for the prompt response. That will be fine but I have seen on youtube but do not remember who it was done long time that you do something with the layer and then apply the layer style without make selection of masking.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there..... there's no need to create a new thread to discuss your problem. It can be tackled here. I've edited your first post with extra details extracted from your duplicate thread.

As our active members are spread across the world, you'll just have to be patient until one of them checks in.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@Mohsin al Aulaqi

From what you described, applying a layer style will affect everything in the layer including unwanted white that was "knocked out" by the Multiply mode. The only way to apply a layer style on the logo itself is to first apply a mask to hide the white background as IamSam mentioned.

There's no other way around it, unless I'm missing something to your procedure or a procedure in the video you mention that you've forgotten before adding the layer style.....

Emily Watson

Banned
Creating a mask is the professional way to do hiding/removing rather than going for layer blending modes. You can select the object and create layer mask to solve this issue, otherwise it will be difficult to place another object overlapping to the blended layer.

MrToM

Guru
I have to agree with dv8, I'm not convinced it can be done.

Layer 'styles' are based on the pixels of a layer, regardless of Blending mode, blend if, opacity, fill etc etc.....if there is a pixel, it is included when applying 'styles'.

The exception to this is using a mask.

This effectively removes the pixels from any 'blend' calculations, and any 'styles' simply ignore them.

Unless you can find the original tutorial I would say go with the advice already given here for now.

Regards.
MrToM.