What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

knowoneuno

I posted a few months ago, trying to duplicate a style I liked of another photographer and so many on this forum were so wonderful to help me, I can't thank you all enough.

Still not 100% satisfied with my results, in comparison to the other artist's reflections, but here is my latest attempt.

Please feel free to offer constructive criticism. I'm wanting to get better at this!

Attachments

• VU6A2086r_10AUG17Nreflect.jpg
    VU6A2086r_10AUG17Nreflect.jpg
    687.9 KB · Views: 8

MikeMc

McGuru
I think the reflection is too strong, if separate layer, cut opacity back a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knowoneuno

I'm not a Photoshop whiz, by any mean, so I don't know which layer to adjust the opacity and when I tried to do it, (lowering the opacity) on a certain layer, I started getting the "checker-board" pattern.

fredfish

Guru
I suspect from your description that the reflection is not on its own layer - rather that the bottom half of the image is actually the bottom layer in your stack. So when you try to reduce the opacity it is becoming transparent (hence the checkboard pattern). The moral is to keep all adjustments on individual layers rather than merging them together.

Cheers

John

knowoneuno

From what another Photoshop Guru had me do, on my original thread, he gave me specific steps to take and this is a screen shot
of what I did today.

I am not 100% sure, but I think all my work is on separate layers.

Any help to get better at all of this would be greatly appreciated.

screen-shot-reflect.jpg

fredfish

Guru
Try turning on your background layer (the bottom layer in your stack) and then try reducing the opacity of you layer called "Plane Copy 3".

BTW thanks for attaching the screen shot - a picture really is worth 1000 words! :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

knowoneuno

Here is what happened when I turned on the bottom layer and then adjusted the opacity on Plane Copy Layer 3.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help with this. Just trying to get better.

New Screen Shot.jpg

fredfish

Guru
Sorry I hadn't noticed that you have 2 layers labeled Plane Copy 3 - I meant the lower one (IE the one directly above your background layer). However all this will do will mean that you wont get the checkerboard pattern showing through. Because the layer doesn't have the reflection isolated from the background you still wont be able to just lower the opacity of the reflection - for this to work you would have to have the reflection on one layer and the ground on another.

You might find you can get a reasonable effect by using Dodge and Burn on the reflection.

As I said before the secret is to keep as many layers as possible so that you can work on individual elements.

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
I think I'm just going to stick with what I know.

I get the frustration - but it is always good to try to push the envelope, you will struggle at times but it is how we learn.

I remember your earlier threads about creating these images and you are getting significantly better! That doesn't mean there wont be issues along the way but keep on trying and you will improve. :thumbsup:

As you know there are great many friendly people here who will try to help when you get stuck.

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
knowoneuno said:
I don't know which layer to adjust the opacity and when I tried to do it, (lowering the opacity) on a certain layer, I started getting the "checker-board" pattern.
You should be well aware of which layers make up your reflection. Plane copy 2 and Plane copy 3 are your reflection layers. Lowering the opacity of these layers will not work.

You should group the two reflection layers, then add a Curves adjustment layer to the reflection layers group, set your blending mode for the group to normal. Use the Curves adjustment layer to reduce the reflections brightness. Here is a great video explaining the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJo_JoN-0g

Watch this as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYiJ2Iu6V_Q