Airplanes

Jergon

NightHawkm.png

Well, British anti-zeppelin fighter, again...:)
In 1915, bomber zeppelins of Germany bothered all the UK, and in the company of N.P.Billing was designed a large fighter plane that was wanted to wait and ambush zeppelins in heights and attack them from above. The type P.B.29E crashed during tests and was replaced by the P.B.31E, similar but improved type (one of the designers was R.J.Mitchell, later designer of famous WW2 fighter Spitfire). The plane with five-member crew was equipped by two gunposts, headlight in front of hull and even bed :), because the plane was assumed to fly even about 18 hours without landing. It was extremely slow, though (about 120 km/h) and also its rising took a long time, so it looked obvious that zeppelines could easily escape and the plane was not able to intercept them. They found out soon that all the conception of such a fighters was mistake. The only built prototype was tested in 1917 at Eastchurch navy base and in the summer of the same year was canceled.

Last edited:

Jergon

Bolkowm.png

It's been more a 'Stillborn blades' this time...:)
In the early 60's has been built many helicopter designs for exploring how to increase choppers' speed. One of the insteresting experimental solutions (built for German Ministry of Defense) was the Derschmidt rotor system with blades mounted by joints to a central rotor part. It allowed the blades to rotate backwards or forwards in dependance of which place of rotation circle they were at. The speed of such helicopter could be about 500km/h (in the era when the usual was about 250km/h). Tests in wind tunnels were succes, but during experimental flights in 1964 added complexity occured with an unexpected new types of dynamic loads. Bo-46 with its semi-rigid rotor never passed an experimental stage, and 3 pieces only have been built, but the fibreglass blades used in this experiment work good enough and were lately used in Bo-105 project.
If this type were more succesful, it could meybe serve as emergency chopper in bad terrains due to its high speed...:)

Last edited:

Jergon

Don't you know anyone please, why I cannot edit (my own) already added posts? The icon for it disapeears when I submit new reply...:-(

Last edited:

fredfish

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forum Moderator
About a week ago I tried to edit one of my posts but got the message that posts cannot be edited after more that 30 mins has passed. I think this is a "feature" added with the recent upgrade of the forum software as I didn't have it before.

I did get one of the mods to edit the post for me - which makes me think @IamSam that might be why you don't have the problem as you have administrator / moderator privileges.

Cheers

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Jergon

Penguinm.png

Well, this machine went further then to prototype and was even produced in amount of 300 pieces, but there is a special reason to have it in The Stillborn Wings line, though...:)
During the WW1 and the years after there were many new aircrafts constructed, some of them flew better, some of them less better - and in the USA appeared even an airplane designed especially not to fly at all. In the era when two-seated training planes were too rare yet, many pilot beginners didn't know how to drive their planes on a ground correctly and that causes many damages of those expensive machines. In France before WW1 a few old Blériot's machines were used with their wings cut to training onground moving, but in the States in 1918 was built the machine just for this purpose. With their wings too short and their engines too weak for flying they started their service in 1919. Some of them were equipped with a protective cages all around the cockpit - and it's said that only five of all these 300 pieces were finally destroyed in training...:)