What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automate Photo Name Marked on Photographs

RGCOLE

Hi,
I'm not brand new to Photoshop, but I sure feel like it sometimes! We only use photoshop for marking and labeling photographs for our engineering firm. I have self taught how to use actions, batches, mark and label certain important items on our photographs and a few other things. But, the one thing I cannot for the life of me figure out is how to automatically insert the photograph name in a batch of photographs. I used to have a separate software that would allow me to mark all the photographs in a set by their name in a certain location I prepared on the photographs, alas that software gave way to computer upgrades and no longer works. So now I am forced to label the photograph names in photoshop.

My boss wants the photograph labeled with a small yellow dot in the right hand corner and the photograph sequential name (A001, A002, etc) on the yellow dot. This is used for identification purposes when working with our clients. I have been able to use batch to rename the photographs in the file, then actions to create the dot and insert a label on the dot then I have to manually go into each photo (which can be hundreds) to relabel the correct name. This can take hours and of course he wants them yesterday!! Help!!

And, part two of this question, because I use very little in Photoshop, we have not upgraded past the CS-2 level...do I need a more recent version to automatically perform this task?? I will insert a photograph example. Thank you in advance for any help! This would save me hours!!
B001 example.jpg

See if this helps...

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-data-driven-graphics.html

As you are not new to PS you shouldn't have any trouble understanding what's going on.

The process involves setting up a template (Which you've done already).....setting up some 'variables' ..... and creating a data sheet.....both of which are pretty easy to do.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track if not a complete answer.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS...thats a really cool image too....even if it is broken.

Last edited:
This thread should answer your question:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/general-photoshop-board/48101-auto-numbering-images.html

As I said in that thread, I strongly suggest that you don't do this in PS, but rather, use a specialized program.

Compared a half-hour of time at an engineering firm, spending $30 or so on a piece of software that will do exactly what you want, straight out of the box, is an absolute no-brainer.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

PS - FYI, the FastStone products work just fine on every version of Windows that I've tried from Vista to Win 8.1.

Thank you! Wow that looks rather overwhelming at first...didn't know what I was working with was called variables, so I've already learned something new!! I'll have to play with this a bit and see if I can catch on! Thanks again, and yea we do have some pretty amazing pics of broken metal!!

Thank you Tomm, I will check out Faststone...just the name "fast" is a pretty encouraging!! Thanks!! I'll post back after I try these!

...Wow that looks rather overwhelming at first...
Yeah, I agree totally but I tried it myself and was surprised at just how easy it was....I think you'll find it easy too.

With lots of images it does get 'involved' but its not difficult by any stretch.....and you only have to set it up once.....after that you can just 'add' to it or 'edit' just one simple csv (or txt) file.

A quick run through...

1. Set up ONE PSD file to use as a template....

set-up.png

I'm guessing at how your layers would be but hopefully something like the above.
NOTE the layer names...!

2. Using Image > Variables > Define, define a variable 'name' for the layers you want to change...

I've tried to shortcut here by showing two examples in one but its just a case of selecting one of the layers that will change, give it a variable name.....and tell PS what type of variable it is.

define_vars.png

So in my example:
Layer --> image
Var name --> image
Type --> Pixel Replacement (Because we want to use different images)

Layer --> number
Var name --> number
Type --> Text Replacement (Because we want to use different text)

3. Thats it for 'define'......save the PSD.

4. Next, create a CSV (as shown and preferred) or TXT file in notepad, or notepad++ or some other text editor.
5. Type in the variable names that you used in PS 'define'.....comma delineated.
Type in the different values for the two variables "number" and "image"....comma delineated.
The "image" variable needs to be the file path of the image...if they are in the same directory as the csv file then they can be relative file paths.....as shown.

6. Save the file in the folder with all your images (Preferred).

7. Back in PS use Image > Variables > Data Sets (Which should now be available....its greyed out until you set the variables)
8. Use 'import' to import the CSV file....
9. Thats it....you're done.....bar the saving out.

From here you can use 'Export Data Sets as Files' to output each image......one bug bear is that it only outputs to PSD files....but....once done you can use 'Image Processing' to save all those PSD files to jpg, png, tiff, whatever.

That may seem like a PITA but it does mean you can tweak each version independantly without going through the whole process again....and you can always delete the PSDs when finished if you want.

As Mr Mann has suggested, there are apps out there that will batch name change and whatever and you may even find something to write the CSV file you.....although don't hold your breath on that one.

Involved, but not difficult......just keep telling yourself that and you'll be done in no time!:thumbsup:

Regards.
MrTom.

Thank you Tomm, I will check out Faststone...just the name "fast" is a pretty encouraging!! Thanks!! I'll post back after I try these!

Well, I said I'd update my status and sorry to say it has taken me this long, but thank you both for your suggestions! I worked with Photoshop for a bit and learned some new things about Photoshop that will be helpful for labeling photographs, however could never quite get my variables to work to batch name them in the manner I needed. I am sure there is some simple process that I'm missing, but time constraints prevented me from playing with it too long.

So then I played with Faststone for a bit and talked myself into thinking it just wouldn't work. Last week when we received several hundreds of pics for one case and of course they wanted them marked that day, I had a strong renewal of interest! I started over with Faststone, and figured it out! I cannot even express my excitement and delight!!!! That saved me soo many laborious hours of individually marking the pictures!! THANK YOU!! Thank you!!

Now I just need to figure out how to keep a lengthy photo name and only have the number show up on the photo and I've got it made!! Huge thank you again!! You two were life savers!! Thank you for taking the time to answer my desperate question!! Have a great day!
Rita

Hi Rita - Thank you very much for coming back and letting us know that our advice was of some use. Often, we'll spend a lot of time writing up a long explanation / tutorial and really try to help someone, and we'll never hear from them again. So, thank YOU!

Don't hesitate to come back if you have any other questions or point other people towards us if they need help in this area.

Best regards,

Tom mM

Back