What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo Pen causing mouse to move erratically

gedstar

Guru
Hi all

As the title says, my Bamboo pen is causing my mouse to move all over the place. When I put the pen down the mouse icon starts moving all over the place. I tried re-installing the drivers, changed the nib and it was fine for about a week. It's kind of random and doesn't happen all the time so very hard to figure out what's causing it. Has anybody come across this before. I've googled it but can't seem to find a solution.
Working with a mouse just isn't the same :cry:

I'm thinking it could be a faulty pen but not sure

Thanks in Advance
Ged

MrToM

Guru
I'm sure you've checked this but...have you disabled all the 'Windows' pen associated services and such like?

Updates to Windows can, although rare, re-start services and restore settings previously disabled...especially when it comes to 'pen' or 'touch' settings...and especially with Wacom software.

...(because we all know that being able to finger paint on a 2 bit tablet is waaaaayyyy more important than using a real graphics tablet and pen with an expensive piece of professional software.)

/rant.

Regards.
MrToMStepsOffSoapBox.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's the exact one I use ged. Could not live without it and it never misses a beat.

MrToM

Guru
Just ignore what I said then....

Harumph....I don't know why I bother...spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam egg chips baked beans and spam.

MrInvisible.

gedstar

Guru
Calm down MrTom

I did listen to you and that's why I'm going for the upgrade, remember your rant
"...(because we all know that being able to finger paint on a 2 bit tablet is waaaaayyyy more important than using a real graphics tablet and pen with an expensive piece of professional software.)"

Take one of these you'll be grand :rofl:
BALLCHL.jpg

Helios

If I may just ask a bit of a noob question relating to this:

What exactly is a Bamboo and how does it work?

I looked at these just now and they all seem to be for use with tablets - only Ged's issue of it being used alongside a mouse suggests he is using it with a desktop PC. I are confuzzled...:confused:

(Note: I am not a tablet or smart phone user at all, hence the noob question!)

gedstar

Guru
Hi Helios

What I'm actually talking about is a graphics tablet one of these, I also have a normal mouse connected to the PC as well, the problem is with the Pen causing the mouse pointer to move around the screen on it's own without any input from me. So no hands on the mouse or pen and the mouse moves by itself, it's kind of like having little gremlins going AWOL
bamboo-pen-touch-en.jpg

Helios

Oh, I see!

So this is an older make of Wacom tablet (can only really find Intuos if you just search 'wacom'), but they also sell styluses that are also named Bamboo (which is all I'm finding if I search 'bamboo wacom' - sigh).

Got it now - I've only ever had one graphics tablet in my life, which is still serving me well, so I'm rather behind on what's available now. Cheers for the clarification and I hope your new tablet works better!

Slightly jealous, in fact....;)

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
"I wasn't being serious"

I knew that! neither was I, anyway I probably just could have got a new pen but I thought with Christmas coming and all why not treat myself :cheesygrin:

Helios

What OS and version of PS are you using, Ged?

I was just thinking that could be useful info - I was thinking of getting a Wacom at some point, and as Mr Tom asked: Could other Wacom owners expect the same thing to happen eventually?

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, about 5 or 6 years ago (ie, different computer, different OS, different version of PS, different universe), I also had a problem with the cursor jumping around when I had my Wacom tablet plugged in. As I recall, I finally tracked it down to an IRQ or some other conflict. It definitely was not a problem with the Wacom hardware as I remember continuing to use that tablet for years once I figured out the real problem. Unfortunately, it's just too long ago, and I can't remember what the exact problem was. I believe I called Wacom and they were the ones who helped me resolve it. You might want to do the same.

Tom M

gedstar

Guru
@Helios
I'm running Windows 10 pro and Photoshop CC2015.1 and CS6 although hardly ever use CS6 now! one way I did find to resolve it was to unplug the USB mouse and plug it back in, as I said it's very intermittent so hard to pinpoint the cause. I haven't seeing much on Google about this, some have mention replacing the nib, cleaning the tablet etc alas none of it work for me. Could be just my PC having the gremlins!
@TomMann
Thanks for that, I'm thinking of doing an OS re-install to see if that will resolve the issue. Wacom Intuos pro in the post so I may start afresh with that.

Last edited: