What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best method to extend a background when model is outside of seamless edges

Cameron McKinlay

Hey Gurus,
I am reaching out to you experts to ask what method you would use to fix this photo. Specifically the background. I made the mistake of leaving the plexiglass on the floor which makes the reflections a PIA to deal with. I would just like a smooth plain white seamless, that looks realistic obviously, as the background with or without the reflections.
The methods I have thought of was doing a composition. I have a photo of the same area, same lighting sans model. But it wasn't looking realistic. Compositions are not my forte.
I just know there is an easier way I haven't thought of.
Hope someone can suggest an easier method.
Happy New Year!
Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.32.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.31.41 AM.png

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Correct me if I'm wrong but the purpose of this kind of shoots is to be able to isolate the subject and place it on a suitable background.
I could be wrong but the only way is to cut out the subject, place it on a suitable background, add shadows and correct the light.
I did a quick one with the low res pictures you provided.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-31%20at%2012_31_41%20AM A.png

Cameron McKinlay

Hey Eggy!
Thanks for responding. I figured doing a composition was the only method for this shot. I normally can just do a content aware scale with the background and fix it but this one can't be recovered that way. I attempted a comp but don't think I will be able to get it looking as though it was shot organically in studio and not a composition.

Last edited:

fredfish

Guru
But I assume that you like (or are at least OK) with what Eggy has done?

BTW Eggy - nice job, I like how you dealt with the shadows.

Cheers

John

Cameron McKinlay

Yes! Eggy, thank you again! you did a great job with this image. Comps are not easy.
I was looking for clarification that a composition is the only method to correcting the BG for a shot like this.
Time to find some good compositing tutorials online and start practicing :)
Thanks for the help guys. Very much appreciated!

Cameron McKinlay

Ohhh love Phlearn and his tutorials. Ill have to watch that one. Thanks for the suggestion Eggy!
I needed a fast turn around time so I hired a Compositor to fix the background and I did the rest of the retouching.
Here is the final shot.
Thanks for all your input guys!
Aminah0322_1 copy.jpgAminah0306_1 copy.jpg