What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I Halftone Layer effects..?

thesnowdog

Hello everyone, my first post! :)

I'm just wondering if it's possible to halftone layer effects..? I'm working on a t-shirt design and the site I'm planning on submitting it to want haftones and a 6 or 7 colour limit. I've got a few hapes that I want to look like wet paint and to do this I've drawn shapes that I want and used bevel and emboss effects on the layer

They also want different colours on different layers for screen printing, and the only way I can see of doing things is to put layers on top of my shape with the bevel and emboss effect underneath, a copy of that shape on top without effects and trace in varying transparencies of white and black on separate layers but this is taking ages and doesn't look great.

There must be a way of halftoning the layer effects, surely..? Or an easier and faster way of doing things..?

I've attached a small .psd file showing what I want to convert into halftones.

Many thanks in advance for any help! :)

Attachments

• example.psd
    30.2 KB · Views: 2

Tom Mann

Guru
I may not understand exactly what you want to do, but my first thought is why don't you simply render the efx on each layer into an ordinary pixel layer (with the efx applied), and then halftone each of the rendered layers. Obviously, you should save both the original and the rendered versions of each layer so that should you want to change anything in the future, it's easy to do.

Below are two PNGs (with transparency). The first has the layer fx baked in; the second is a half-toned version
example-TJM_with_layer_fx_rendered_rasterized.png
example-TJM_fx_baked_in-then_half_toned.png

What am I missing?

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahhh ... I just thought of an alternate interpretation of your post, so put my previous post on the back burner, and when I get back home I'll write it up.

Tom M

thesnowdog

Thanks for answering so quickly, much appreciated. Not sure if that solves my problem though tbh. They want all of the colours on separate layers for the screen printing process, so one layer for orange, one for black and one for white. Not sure how to do an ordinary pixel layer, am a bit new to this Photoshop lark lol, but that sounds like that will have just one layer containing orange, black and white rather than one layer for each colour...wouldn't it..?

Tom Mann

Guru
I have a couple of questions: Do you intend to use only CMYK process colors for the screen printing (maybe with the addition of a spot background color), or do you plan on using only spot colors? Also, it's really difficult to talk about problems like this in the abstract. It would help a lot if you could post the PSD file that you are developing, or if you are worried about someone stealing your ideas, just crop it down and post a PSD file for a small area of the entire image.

Thanks,

Tom M