What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone help me by telling me what filter is applied in the image

therellik

Hello,

I am trying to find the name of the filter used in the image I am attaching to this message. I got as close as a filter with name "polar coordinates" but its not it.

Any help would be greately appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Effect.jpg
    Effect.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 41

iDad

Guru
That is impossible to tell, but could you be looking for
>Image> Adjustments>Threshold?

therellik

I believe its a seamless tile pattern that joins the letf and right side of the same image and wraps it up until both sides are touching, but shrinking the top side of the pattern at the same time. Same as wraping a piece of paper around a cone. And finally adds a twist to the whole thing. Here is an image of the steps that I think its applied in the filter.

Attachments

• Effect2.jpg
    Effect2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Effect3.jpg
    Effect3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0

therellik

Ok, I think I got it with 2 filters.
The first image is the seamless texture; the second image shows the "Polar coordinates" filter aplied (note the thin white line which indicates the left side of the texture touching the opposite end); the last image shows the twirl filter applied.
This is pretty close, please comment.

Attachments

• Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Test2.jpg
    Test2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Test3.jpg
    Test3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 38

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Your right it's not a kaleidoscope filter. None in my collection worked.

Your findings are sound but I don't know. It's quite hard to say until we can find or reproduce the original tile.

As an experiment, I tried reverting your last image back to the second image you made with the twirl filter but in reverse and I came up with this....

View attachment 2844

as you can see, it reverted.

But with the image in question....

View attachment 2845

No matter what I do to get the red guide line straight, I don't get any pattern at all. It distorts even more. Most especially the arcs going the opposite way of the twirl.

I'm not saying your wrong..... I might be wrong with my reverse engineering...... BUT....

This is a doozy... I would love to know the answer to this. Must experiment with a different approach.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Staring at it, I can't help but imagine a maze pattern...... must try recreate the maze pattern I see in there..... and it's just one repeated piece...........

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
erelik.... here's what we hope we need. I tried your procedure... it's somewhere there....

All we need is to position the pattern in the image in such a way that when you apply the Polar coordinates, you form a nice equal forming X or + in the middle....... I wish I could do it, but I have to go back to finishing a work project now..... GOOD LUCK......

View attachment 2847

droidcub

Ok, I think I got it with 2 filters.
The first image is the seamless texture; the second image shows the "Polar coordinates" filter aplied (note the thin white line which indicates the left side of the texture touching the opposite end); the last image shows the twirl filter applied.
This is pretty close, please comment.

how did you possibly get to the origin image to this effect. Mindblowing. And your understanding of the effect and how you read the anatomy of it is truly masterful. This is inspired :)

therellik

Your right it's not a kaleidoscope filter. None in my collection worked.

Your findings are sound but I don't know. It's quite hard to say until we can find or reproduce the original tile.

As an experiment, I tried reverting your last image back to the second image you made with the twirl filter but in reverse and I came up with this....

View attachment 2844

as you can see, it reverted.

But with the image in question....

View attachment 2845

No matter what I do to get the red guide line straight, I don't get any pattern at all. It distorts even more. Most especially the arcs going the opposite way of the twirl.

I'm not saying your wrong..... I might be wrong with my reverse engineering...... BUT....

This is a doozy... I would love to know the answer to this. Must experiment with a different approach.

You're absolutely right about this one; its impossible to make the red line straight with the proceedure I mention..., it must be something else or something more in between.

therellik

Ok, you got the pattern allright.
Here is the same pattern with the polar coordinates and the twirl effect applied (200%).., the result is very close.
Thanks for all your effords.

Attachments

• Tile Tst3.jpg
    Tile Tst3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 11

iDad

Guru
nice job on finding that DV8:thumbsup: