What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes Cannot Change Brushes on Layer; Help

Colourtech

I'm trying to erase an area of a composite. When I use the erase or brush tool I get a brush that looks choppy or pixelated. I've tried resetting the brushes, adjusting the brush presets and even moving all of the layers from this document into another. Trial and error has told me that whatever brush preset is torturing me is attached to a specific layer. All other layers are editable with the smooth, rounded brush that I normally use. Only in this layer am I unable to change the brush at all. Is it somehow locked into the layer? How do I fix this?

Wish me luck. Feeback appreciated; I don't care to re-do this layer!

Riley

Hoogle

Guru
Have you changed the eraser to background eraser or magic eraser. Or are you sure you have eraser tool selected and not the heal brush or eraser mode set to block instead of brush opacity of the eraser. Or maybe it is another layer interacting with that layer. I assume your layer mode is set to normal. if all else fails close photoshop and reopen it as soon as it starts to load press control + alt+ shift and it should give you an option to delete your preference file and that will reset all your tools back to default.

Colourtech

Thanks for the feedback - I tried all of those things. After an hour (or more) of two of us trying to figure it out turns out it had a lock on it. So... turn the lock off. Go figure!