What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color layer inside rectangle

youngbuck

Hey, it's my first post and probably as basic as it gets. Still have problems finding a solution through google.

In my template the layer one is just a rectangle, no background. I'd like to fill everything inside the rectangle in the layer white and everything outside black. Surprisingly having problems figuring it out.

ps-help.png

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Hi there....

What you have is a vector shape on the layer. Rasterize it (right click layer - Rasterize) then fill the entire layer black using FILL FROM BEHIND.

Or use black for your background layer.....

There could be other ways to do this but that depends on what you're planning to do..... but the above is the basics....

Fill your background layer with black.

With your Rectangle Tool selected (NOT the Rectangular Marquee Tool)
Highlight the shape layer above the background layer.
Go to the "Set Shape Fill Type" window and set the color to white.
Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 8.39.34 PM copy.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was able to get the layers colored.

ps-help2.png

Unfortunately still having problems. Thought process was to build a template-postcard with all the measurements and then just past pictures in the layers 1-4, which should then display all 4 images on the view. Would that generally work?
Copying a picture in an existing layer seems to be quite the problem as well :/

Last edited:
That is absolutely perfect, especially since you can easily resize and move the image inside.

One small problem that still exist is that when I turn on (visible) the white background it lays on top of everything, so the picture is just white. I'd like to have only the spaces between the pictures filled.

Move the white BG layer to the bottom of the layer stack.

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 8.46.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 8.47.06 PM.png

Was at the bottom, but luckily figured it out eventually. Problem was actually that I had to change the setting back from 'Color' to 'Normal'.

ps-help3.png

Back