What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Converting Picture to Stylized Line Drawing

Dissonant

About 4 years ago I made a teeshirt of a friend for an event we were having. I can't remember the process I used to convert a picture to a stylized line drawing and am looking for some assistance.

This first picture was the first step in the process on one of the images I worked with.
AvkYoaN.jpg

This is the final result
6U26fSM.jpg

Does anyone have a clue how to achieve these results in photoshop? I remember it being fairly simple but I can't for the life of me find it.

I'm not at my computer to demonstrate these techniques, but:

A) For the first, I would moderately blur the image, then apply Photoshop's "cutout" filter. Of course that are several adjustments available in these steps, so you will have to experiment to achieve the exact effect that you want.

B) For the second image, I would also start by moderately blurring the image, but then I would use a threshold adjustment layer. Again, adjust each step to taste.

HTH,

Tom M

Thanks, I was putzing around while waiting for a response and found the threshold setting and was messing with that. When I originally did this I used the same process on both, obviously the second was the final product with a lot of touching up along the way. The cutout filter sounds familiar and I'm pretty sure that's what I used back then. During the writing of this I checked back in photoshop and couldn't locate that filter. Turns out I needed to turn on "Show all Filter Gallery Groups" in my preferences. That is definitely the filter I used. Thanks again!

Back