What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cs2 and cr2 problems with new canon 1100d

Tarik Ahmet

Hi there, I'm in need of some help..... and I'm hoping someone out there knows what to do!!

Problem:

I currently have cs2 installed on a mac powerbook running osx 10.4. I have always been able to view my raw files taken with my eos 350D but I needed to upgrade so I treated my self to a new 1100D (bigger screen makes so much difference!!!) Anyway when I downloaded to pics off the camera and bridge doesn't seem to recognize the file type...!

What have I tired so far!!! :

I have tried to update my camera raw plugin with the newest version 3.7....no luck, then I read about converting the file from cr2 to dng using the DNG converter (version 6.8), but for some odd reason that tells me that there are no files in the folder... but there is I assure you. I even tried change the folders name, as I read that obscure characters can cause a fuss (I had an underscore in the file name) and yep still no luck. I am having to download some dodgy cr2 to jpeg software now to get me through the day, but is there something I am missing, worse still is it time for an photoshop upgrade?

Any advice would help from you pro's out there!! :)

***** just to let you know contenta didn't work on my mac as it needs intel and my trusted machine is a powerPC so really need a solution now :( ****

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Tarik Ahmet... I'm not on a Mac so I don't think I can help you with your problem but there are others here who are Mac users. Just hang on, they're suppose to be checking in any moment now - their time zones....

But I think there was a similar problem thread around here. Let's see if I can find it is it's not buried that deep among other posts.

sounds to me you need upgrade ..

Man that is pretty bad new....but if that is the only option, then at least I know. With the latest cs5 run on my powerbook?

Oh-oh! I just posted a message that disappeared, here it goes again.

Tarik (merhaba!), you have a couple of options from free to lower cost than a full upgrade. The problem lies in CS2 Adobe Camera RAW not having your new camera format in the supported list and it will never be.

1. Download Adobe DNG converter (free) and convert your Canon CR2 format to DNG which should be visible to CS2. This is a two-step process but comes at no cost.
2. Get a copy of Lightroom 3.3 and do your RAW conversion in Lightroom and push the file to Photoshop for editing functions that are not available in Lightroom. It is an excellent piece of software for photographers and you will likely do 80-95% of your edits in Lightroom.

Hey acekin.... I have tried the first proceedure you have suggested with dng conversion , but as I had said in my first post..... doesn't seem to want to work? Very strange indeed.....

I wanted to list the options for the record, I am surprised that the DNG conversion is not working. The file name should not be a problem as the camera creates the file name and DNG converter should be familiar with that. Is there any foreign characters in the folder name like a dotted I, or s with cedilla. Alphabets like Turkish will have these characters which sometimes cause problems for programs.

Photoshop stopped issuing ACR updates for CS3 and below a long time ago.
It will probably stop updating CS4 soon, so that's not a surprise that CS2 can't open the RAW files.

The DNG conversion confuses me.
The DNG Converter opens normally but doesn't see the files?
If you navigate to the folder and open it in the OS, can you see the files?

I'm a Windows guy like dv8 but have you tried turning the computer completely off and back on?
That's a Windows solution to some wacky stuff.

Try copying the images again to a new folder.
Try navigating with DNG Converter to the card and see if it sees the file.
Try using DNG Converter with raw files from your old camera.

Back