What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Designing a Good Website Design

webmaster98

What rules I need to follow before designing a good site. And shall I go for professional web design company.

chrisatlemon

a good website can be a complex beast or simple but efficient. It really depends on what you're trying to create.

Some basic rules should never be bent:

1) valid and standards compliant HTML and CSS (w3.org)
2) accessible content and navigation (w3.org/WAI/)
3) complete separation of content and format/style ( Separation of presentation and content - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
4) Other keywords: Usability, Cross-platform compatibility, semantic markup

Don't ever look at what the big boys do (IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, EBay,etc) The big boys do not need great websites. They can afford to force you to use their mess of the website. Do what great web designers do, with the absolute emphasis on "web".

Then make it look great - but that's just me ;)

Do you need a professional? Again it really depends on what you need. Is it your business site? Then I would always ask for professional help if you feel unsure you doing the right thing. Is it little personal portfolio or blog? Go ahead and play away as long as you're having fun ;)

Hope this helps, if you need any assistance, give me a shout.

Cheers

Chris

Mlio

A very important thing is the target group. Do not design anything how you prefer, what you find easy to use, or the colours you like. Investigate and make a good profile of the target group and design with that in mind.

f5designstudio

the best and most simple rule is to think like a user ! and to know what is the audience of the web
the next important thing is to create the layout and it must be easy to navigate. everything must be visible
then you can add some accents and design the main idea using illustrator or photoshop in 72 dpi (1000x700)

best regards

Rumiko

Well since it seems like you want to go into web design, i've provided a helpful link below. And even if you don't really want to go into freelance, this link could still be helpful.

Check it out: The Roadmap To Becoming A Professional Freelance Web Desinger

NOTE: The web page is super long ^^

EDIT: Hmmm. There seems to be an error. Apparently, I can't post website links just yet since I'm a new member...Oh well, if you search that in google, the topic should pop up under "Smashing Magazine". You should totally read it.

peter444

I am agree with chrisatlemon and the links provided by others are also helpful for designing a good website design.

annarobert

Banned
Here is 10 Principles Of Effective Web Design if you remember it than you can make good web site.
1. Don’t make users think
2. Don’t squander users’ patience
3. Manage to focus users’ attention
4. Strive for feature exposure
5. Make use of effective writing
6. Strive for simplicity
7. Don’t be afraid of the white space
8. Communicate effectively with a “visible language”
9. Conventions are our friends
10. Test early, test often