What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ever Pen Vector Art.

fredfish

Guru
Valiant attempt, particularly for the first go with the pen tool - are you up for a comment?

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
It's the only way to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was a great effort but I think you are trying to set too many anchor points. As a result your shapes aren't very uniform. Of course that might have been the effect you were going for.

For example have a look at my attempt at the eyebrows and lips.

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

IMHO this ends up with much more fluid shapes and lines.

Cheers

John

Chsavage

I know what you mean with the anchor points, with the exception of the headphones, glasses, and nose piercing which was the intended look. I could definitely stand to manipulate fewer points as opposed to adding new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredfish

Guru
Another thing you could try is to do the strands of hair with multiple flowing lines and then stroke the lines with simulated pen pressure - this will give the effecct of the strands narrowing as they get to the end.

Very quick example

Untitled-4.jpg

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think this is pretty god for a first attempt. I think just a little more practice with the Pen Tool and you'll be on your way.

The main issue I see is there is no delineation where the chin should be, it's just kind of all one color.
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 11.37.17 AM.png

Just a quick tip to help in the planning phase of any vector art project. I like to add a Cutout Filter to my subject and use that as a base to plan how I proceed. I prefer nice smooth flowing lines in my vector art so I'm not a huge fan of the Cutout Filter look, it's to jagged for me, but it offers some guidance as to specific areas I need to pay attention to.
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 11.40.33 AM.png

As for the hair, I would not have tried to reproduce as much of the details and would have gone for a larger blocked look with the added strands like John suggested.

Chsavage

I think this is pretty god for a first attempt. I think just a little more practice with the Pen Tool and you'll be on your way.

The main issue I see is there is no delineation where the chin should be, it's just kind of all one color.
View attachment 78702

Just a quick tip to help in the planning phase of any vector art project. I like to add a Cutout Filter to my subject and use that as a base to plan how I proceed. I prefer nice smooth flowing lines in my vector art so I'm not a huge fan of the Cutout Filter look, it's to jagged for me, but it offers some guidance as to specific areas I need to pay attention to.
View attachment 78703

As for the hair, I would not have tried to reproduce as much of the details and would have gone for a larger blocked look with the added strands like John suggested.

Oh boy, got a long way to go I see, but I really appreciate the tips. Definitely need to add shadows to get curves for the chin and other areas as suggested. I'll try the filter method to plan it out next time. Believe it or not this took me the better part of an entire night just learning and trying to apply, haha.

fredfish

Guru
Oh boy, got a long way to go I see, but I really appreciate the tips. Definitely need to add shadows to get curves for the chin and other areas as suggested. I'll try the filter method to plan it out next time. Believe it or not this took me the better part of an entire night just learning and trying to apply, haha.

Please don't get me wrong - If I had come up with something of this quality the first time I tried using the pen tool I would have been over the moon. I meant it when I said it was a gallient effort. I am sure if you keep plugging away you will get better and better. Looking at your other posts you clearly have skills. :)

Cheers

John

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with John! Don't be so hard on yourself, it's a learning curve.

I was trying to get a post ready for you to demonstrate what I was talking about on the hair.............I just haven't had the time. But I will.