What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gif file looks fine in PS, but when I play it after its saved, the hidden layers show

Velzz

This is pretty irritating. Like i said, the gif file when played back in PS itself looks perfect as I want it. Then when i save it, all the layers that i designate to be hidden just stay on screen after their frame plays. Am i somehow saving it the wrong way or what?

Re: Gif file looks fine in PS, but when I play it after its saved, the hidden layers

Are you saving it using "Save for Web & Devices"?

You can post the PSD and GIF here so we can look at it.

Re: Gif file looks fine in PS, but when I play it after its saved, the hidden layers

Yep, saving for web. When i preview it in the save for web window that pops up, it opens Firefox and plays it and this is where you can first notice the problem, and it also happens when it's saved. if I play the gif in photoshop with the animation window open it looks perfect.

Attachments

• new anim.psd
    3 MB · Views: 16

Saved as OPTIMIZED YOUR FILE WAS SET TO RUN ONCE ONLY -IT SHOULD BE SET AS FOREVER:) some of your layers do have rough edges not as clean as the rest.

Hey thanks man.. I guess i need to work ont hose edges then, and it was saved to run once on purpose.. I had no clue that doing so would make it do that, but then that makes me wonder then why even allow you to save a multi frame gif when set to run once only if they know it will do that?

Running once is still an animation.

Ok i just had another look at it, you have a couple of layers with a multi layered image on them, why? When the rest of your animation looks fine.
As the arrow shows the layer i picked out as four differing sizes on that single layer?

Yep i can explain, whats supposed to happen with the red part is the block is meant to look like its expanding and contracting, then expanding and contracting slightly again towards the end to make it look like jello settling. Some frames then had to be duplicated since the "jiggle" would take the object back through that size more than once.

But on a side note, eh well i saved it this time to run forever and it still happened...

You do not have to put several varying frames on one frame.

Crap i see what the problem was, theres multiple red boxes visible in some frames, ugh, how did that happen, lol. Sigh... Thanks for the heads up Paul!

Well wait nevermind apparently that wasnt the problem.. Sigh... Still doing it, amazing. I made a gif in Photoshop moths ago and it turned out fine, i'm pretty much doing the same thing now and this is happening.

still having issues with this if anyone has any ideas

I am no guru here but looking at your file I believe I know what your problem is.When clicking on the individual animated frames at the bottom when opened in PS.It appears you have multiple random frames selected for many of the animated frames.Select the animated frames.Then scroll through your layers to make sure only the image you want for that animated frame is selected.

Lefty i have said this a few times now, i even posted a image of the multiple layers within a single frame to no reply.

I did reply Paul, scroll back and look.

As mentioned. I saw there were only a few frames that had multiple layers of the red box set to be visible. I Unchecked those frames and the problem was still happening. Yes most frames have one of EACH different image - the chat box, red square, and the numbers active, but they have to be since I want one of each of those those images in the animation. both boxes and the numbers all at some point have to be together in the image at the same time ...Look my understanding of photoshop animation is that you set which layer you want visible in any given frame. If theyre not set to visible, then they should not be appearing,or am I completely wrong?

Your problem starts at frame 6, the first frame where the image gets smaller, the larger frame 5 doesn't go away even though it's not selected in the PSD, the multiple layers are really irrelevant.
Any time a larger image is replaced with a smaller one the large one remains.
I'm lost on this one.

Hi Steve, actually I know it's hard to notice because they blend so well but the problems do begin from the start with the chat notification area. It's also supposed to do a jiggle effect but you cant see it because when the frames come in which the image shrinks after expanding, you cant notice it because the frame where the box is at its largest is still on screen, hiding the edges of the shrinking.

Back