What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grainy Noise effect

Dan75

Is anyone able to tell me if there's a particular name for the type of effect applied to the photos on this site (it's a demo of a Wordpress theme): http://demo.mountainthemes.com/05/ . I'm referring to the layer of noise; when you zoom in you can see it's a screen of tiny black squares. Gives it a sort of modern, hi-tech look. Don't really need step-by-step instructions, just some terminology, so I could perhaps search for other themes that use the same effect.

thx!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Dan, this effect is part of the wordpress theme and I'm not sure what it's called. We have discussed this effect before. I will see if I can find the thread.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Are you wanting to create the effect in Photoshop? If so, it's mainly just a simple pattern overlay using a dot pattern.

Here's one thread on the matter: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/48427-dot-layer-image.html

I wasn't around when that thread came about and only got to view it much later.

@Dan75 ...

The "noise" was actually generated by a weeeeeee png image viewable if you right click on the images and select View Background..... it's really tiny.....

Here and in Sam's linked thread, it's correctly said and defined as a Wordpress Theme option that's either a plugin or widget and that everyone's reproductions in the other thread are spot-on.

Here's my take on it using the actual 2x2 pixel image which I first saved in PSD format and used to Define Pattern fill..... The faint dot (or square pixel, whatever it is) is on the upper left hand quarter canvas side of home-bg.psd (zoomed to max).

wpThemeLook.jpg

If anyone's interested.... here's that png..... hope you guys can find, click and download that miniscule spec of an amoeba enclosed in parenthesis..... 24.gif

( home-bg.png )

It's there. Just hover your mouse pointer over the area to detect it.....

Attachments

• wpThemeLook.jpg
    wpThemeLook.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
  • home-bg.png
    home-bg.png
    930 bytes · Views: 14