What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greyed Layers

ibclare

Queen Bee
I have, on more than one occasion, experienced layers going from highlighted to greyed out.

The only way I have found to return accessibility is to double click the layer to bring up the layer styles palette, which restores the highlighted layer. Even at that, however, I can't use the mask, though I get a layer mask display option.

I wish I could remember exactly what I was doing before the greying out occurred, but I can't. I don't do anything different than ever before . . . I have reset preferences, but with no fix to the problem.

Removing PS and reloading the program does not solve the problem, though I can work in PS for quite some time before this occurs again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MrToM

Guru
I should know this but what system and PS version Clare?

It does look like the latest version of 'Flash' is buggy.....even Adobe's own test page fails.
I doubt this is the cause though, especially if this is not a recent issue or you are using CC 2014.

Regards.
MrTom.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hmm. Not exactly undrestanding what you are saying of Flash as it applies, though I may need an upgrade. I am using Win 8.0 and running PS5. (since it is the last version I like having done a trial 6. Who cares to spend more if you won't use it)

MrToM

Guru
[Brace yourself!]

Well, prior to CC 2014 PS used Flash based panels. (Flash as in Flash Player)

If you have your system set to auto-update Flash then you may have the latest 'buggy' version installed which may or may not contribute to the problem you are having.

It wouldn't matter though if this is not a recent issue nor if you used CC 2014....I don't know when this problem started so its pure guesswork.

Also, even if you don't use Internet Explorer, you need Flash for IE to be up to date.....Firefox will only update Flash for 'Other Browsers'....not IE. As IE is an integral part of the Windows OS its very important to keep IE happy....even if you've never used it....which is highly likely.

That was my train of thought......it just so happened that when you posted I was noticing something strange with updating Flash Player, an error that installation was 'incomplete'. I'm still looking into it but I've never had that error before and it happened exactly the same on three different systems.....the chances of it being a problem with Flash are therefore high....but not proved.

FYI the latest Flash Player version is 16.0.0.296.

If you go HERE you can check your Flash Status but even this doesn't work properly with the latest Flash version.....you should get either a yes or no statement in a hidden box when you click on the 'Check Now' button....mine is blank....so something is wrong..LOL.

You could try Updating if you want to see if it changes anything....I couldn't say either way if it will....it was just a thought.

Your statement...
ibclare said:
...I don't do anything different than ever before . . . I have reset preferences, but with no fix to the problem...
... leads me to believe it may be something 'external' that is the cause....like Flash.

Sorry that's a bit long but as you've tried all the 'usual' fixes without success I thought it may be something more 'deep rooted'.

I'll keep working on it.

Regards.
MrTom.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Long is OK. I never use IE!

I don't know about Flash.I don't have it set to auto update and I haven't updated it in a long time, so I will follow your link.

Well, I woked in PS today without a problem. Well, when I started it did it again but then it started behaving. Maybe the dang thing takes naps.

I'll let you know if the update cures the problem, but I may nmot know for ahile, since it will go along with no problem and mysteriously start it in the middle of my workflow. Well, I can always send you a PM once it does it again. Which I presume it will, unless the update helps.

MrToM

Guru
Hi Clare,

Yeah, this is one of those MS annoyances that can catch you out.

In order for the OS to run properly IE must be kept up-to-date and that includes Flash Player.

Due to MS being as stubborn as a mule they have their 'own' version of Flash Player.....you need to install / update it using IE.......counselling is available after the event.

Everyone else uses the 'other browser' version.....except Google Chrome which has Flash Player 'built-in'.

PS5 uses Flash to create the 'panels' and their contents. Its just a guess but not having the latest Flash version could be contributory to your problem.....updating it could be the cure......fingers crossed.

Its always wise to keep Flash Player updated even if you know nothing about it......the latest release solves several 'security' issues.

See if it works and well even if it doesn't you will at least have updated Flash......which is a good thing. :)

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Ah, you are right. Microsoft wants to control my life, not just my computer. And the computer is bad enough. I no longer need a PW to get into my laptop. Who cares since it is never out of my control? (at this point and if necessary, I'll add one)

So, I will update through IE, a browser I have made it a point to never use. Used to have a mac so that was essentially safari, now it's mostly chrome and sometimes firefox. Thanks for the advice.

MrToM

Guru
Hi Clare,

There is an alternative if you really don't want to use IE to update Flash....and who can blame you?

There are 'msi' and 'exe' files which will install / update Flash without having to open any other browser...you will find them here:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

You'll see on that page that the first TWO downloads are for windows...the first one being for IE and the second for 'Plugin-based' browsers....Firefox, Opera etc etc.

You need to download and run at least the IE version in order to keep your system happy.
(Well, you don't need to do anything but I'm afraid you have no other option if you need to use Flash....and you do.)

I didn't mention this before as most people tend to prefer to let Adobe handle it......eek!

You can check the status of Flash by using the 'check plugins' option from Tools > Add-ons in Firefox. If you need to update it then you can choose whichever method you prefer.

Chrome should update its own Flash version automatically...or at least that's what I'm lead to believe.

Anyway, you've probably done it by the time you read this so.....for future reference. :)

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Hmm, woth a crack... but press Q the next time it happens, it could be that you accidentally enabled quick mask mode