What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP: How to achieve this dark effect

MissFit

I have seen this done a lot and each time I see it, I fall in love with it even more (the "after" photo). I am not sure what this effect or technique is called, but does anyone know how this is done? Is there a name for this technique, or a particular plug-in/filter? I can't seem to find any tutorials for it. Any advice or tips will definitely help! :)

Attachments

• martinaspoljaric-beforeandafter1.jpg
    martinaspoljaric-beforeandafter1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello MissFit and welcome to PSG.

Where did you get this images from? How experienced with Ps are you?

I can fake this effect, but I don't think its how it was done.
Bare in mind this was done very fast, it's not perfect.
IamSamsVersion_01.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
You are right -- it is a very common effect and is offered in various forms and levels of quality in numerous plugin packages, actions, ACR presets, Instagram and similar on-line services that offer preset "filters", etc.. It's basically an advanced form of split toning, but also is a specific form of cinematic "color grading". Take a look at this tutorial and see if this comes close to what you are looking for:

(...broken link removed...)

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...t=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuenozbiE0

Obviously, it isn't exactly like your example, but there are lots of ways to tweak the procedure outlined in the above tutorial, and the effect will depend dramatically on the image you start with. One's ability to accurately tweak a general procedure to achieve a given look only comes with substantial experience in PS (i.e., similar work on thousands of images).

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
... Or just Google {cinematic color grading tutorial site:YouTube.com}, and then wade through all the various color combinations possible to find one close to what you want.

Tom M