What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! How to adjust animated gif to slower than 5 fps for google requirements?

meggsoption

Hello! I have been teaching myself animated gifs to get more design work. I have one ad that didn't upload to google because it says it needs to be slower than 5 fps.
I'm not seeing where to adjust this.
Here's the ad...

Please help! :)

bba_336x280.gif

Tom Mann

Guru
Simply make the duration of frame longer than 0.2 seconds. I regularly make animated GIFs for tutorial purposes whose frame rate is several seconds per frame. The adjustment is under each frame on the timeline. Highlight all the frames, and when you adjust the duration of one frame, all of the duration of all the other frames will be set to the same value.

HTH,

Tom M

meggsoption

Hi Tom! Thank you for your reply.

So no frame can be less than .2 seconds? That doesn't quite make sense to me. There is a math equation I'm missing here. There are so many ways to break up frames, there must be a minimum total the complete animation adds up to. I have two other ads that worked fine and they total 7 and 10 seconds respectively. This one only totaled about 3.5 seconds. That must be the key. Is there a min total I'm shooting for? I have googled and can't find the main requirements for the seconds. I also can't find where to see or adjust the total fps.

Hoogle

Guru
open image go to window > Timeline make sure your in frame view. THen you can adjust each layer individually on time but that supplied Gif needs to have at least 3 or 4 more frames added to make it smooth and transition into the text part.
Screenshot_1.png

bba_336x280.gif

As you can see Frame 7 - 8 is no fade into final frame however you can ease keyframe but will still be iffy, you need the original bike and background to add additional layers.

Last edited:

meggsoption

I'm not sure my question is coming through. The animation is fine. It's choppy but that's fine. The design is approved so we're good on the design and transitions.

I just need google to accept it now. It has to be slower than 5 fps for google requirements. How do I get it there? I'm in the timeline and adjust it frame by frame. I know how to make all that work. Either there's a math equation I'm missing here to add up to < 5fps or a setting I'm missing.

Please help. :)
[h=2][/h]

MrToM

Guru
...Either there's a math equation I'm missing here to add up to < 5fps or a setting I'm missing...
You've missed it twice.

Tom Mann in post #2, AND Hoogle in post #4 have both suggested to set each frame to no less than 0.2 seconds in length.

0.2 seconds per frame means there must be 5 frames in 1 second....which is what you want....simple maths.

It doesn't matter how many frames you have, or how long the animations is, but each frame cannot be displayed for less than 0.2 of a second.

Doing so increases the frame rate above the maximum 5fps.

Hoogles post shows you where the frame rate is displayed, Toms post describes how to change it.

Not sure how to simplify that for you if its still a mystery.

Regards.
MrToM.

meggsoption

Fantastic! Thank Mr Tom. I needed a little hand holding there. So, for google's requirements, you can't make any frame shorter than .2? So, the animation below, which has MULTIPLE frames and mostly teensy would not work, is that correct? I've just learned how to do these animations to be able to get more design work and am still learning google's requirements. The following animation came in an email, not google. Therefore, looks like google has very tight constraints on their ad requirements. That's what I needed to know.

Thank you ALL for your generous time and help. I really appreciate being able to ask a community these persnickety points. I'm an old dog constantly learning new tricks (20 years with photoshop) and truly rely on your help.

Thank you! :)

animation.gif

MrToM

Guru
...Fantastic! Thank Mr Tom. I needed a little hand holding there...
No worries.

...So, for google's requirements, you can't make any frame shorter than .2?...
I only know what you've stated here about Googles requirements...if they say that the max frame rate is 5fps then yes....no frame can be displayed any shorter than 0.2 seconds....1 second divided by 0.2 = 5....fps.

...So, the animation below, which has MULTIPLE frames and mostly teensy would not work, is that correct?...
I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "mostly teensy" when it comes to animated gifs but no, that animation has a frame duration of 0.

If you select ALL the frames in that example...

Google_FPS_MT_00.png

Then click the small arrow under ONE of the frames.....you'll be able to select a frame duration.

Changing the example you gave to a frame duration of 0.2 I get this...
[ NOTE: The animation STOPS after playing 4 times...refresh the page to see it again ]

Google_FPS_MT_01.gif

Once you've done this you'll have to calculate how many frames will fit into 30 seconds....this appears to be a Google condition that the animation stops at 30 seconds.

The example has 35 frames......I've changed it to 0.2 seconds per frame....meaning there are 5 frames per second.

35 frames divided by 5 = 7 seconds TOTAL duration.
30 seconds divded by 7 = 4.28

Therefore the MAXIMUM times the animation can play is 4. (28 seconds)

You can set this by clicking the small arrow on the left, choosing 'Other', and setting the play count to 4....

Google_FPS_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Teensy could be Tweensy.............as in tweening between frames?

meggsoption

Nope. Nope. Nope. I was just trying to make a funny. I meant miniscule. The '0' would be what I was referring to per frame. The transitions are very smooth because of the teensy (tiny) frames (0). I was hoping to move to more smooth transitions of that type but now I know my parameters are a min of .2 per frame. These are my two latest ones that went fine with the google requirements. They must be slower than 5fps, smaller than 150k and stop at 30 seconds. These two passed with flying colors. The one you've been helping me with was my first and I missed that .2 parameter.

Thank you folks!

Entiretea_300x600.gif

Entiretea_728x90.gif

crhc_300x600.gif

crhc_728x90.gif

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry. Teensy Tiny frames? Compared to......................? Sorry, not following your use of the term. A frame is a frame. Are you referring to the time increment maybe?

meggsoption

Okay... my humor isn't playing at all. Let's try math... Teensy = 0 frame. Evidently anything < .2 is teensy. Teensy = oh I wish I could have little frames for a smooth transition but I can't. Little = < .2. Make sense? I enjoy that I am now as frustrated as you were explaining to me.

The main idea is that I got it. I'm good. Thank you for the help.
Also, google requirements mean that there are choppy transitions because of the .2 frames. To be really smooth, all the gifs I've seen have 0 or .1 frames with like 20-100 frames total.

Thank you!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay... my humor isn't playing at all. Let's try math... Teensy = 0 frame. Evidently anything < .2 is teensy. Teensy = oh I wish I could have little frames for a smooth transition but I can't. Little = < .2. Make sense?

I understand. Sorry for the confusion. This happens quite often when common terminology is not used or understood by all. No harm, no foul.