What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with gif file size please!!

Hey can someone help me resize this gif to fit 100kB? I've tried to optimize it, but the quality is super terrible. I feel like I'm not doing it right haha
Any help would be extremely appreciated. :)

dp.gif

MrToM

Guru
Impossible to even attempt this without the original PSD file.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Like I said....can't even attempt it without the original PSD file.

The 'gif' is the result of saving out to the 'gif' format.....you need the original layered PSD file in order to do anything with it.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
Noooooooo....

In order to do anything with this the original Layered PSD file has to be edited.

Neither the animated 'gif' image, as you first posted, nor simply a single frame from it in PSD format is going to work.

The 'gif' you have posted is the end result of many 'layers' in photoshop....each 'frame' of the animation is created from a combination of the layers in the PSD file.

When the 'gif' is saved the 'result' is a whole bunch of individual images which are 'flattened' from that combination of the layers in the original working file.

Its for this reason that in order to do anything to reduce the filesize the original 'layers' in the original PSD file need to be edited.....NOT the frames in the final 'gif'.....by this point its too late.

There is still no guarantee that anything can be done anyway....but if it can it needs to be on the original PSD file layers....ALL of them!

Do you even have the original PSD file or did you just download this gif image from somewhere?

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
...i dont have the original psd file...so i guess there's nothing you can do...
Correct.

The only way you could reduce the filesize of a 'gif' image is to reduce its dimensions.

You'll have to resave the 'gif' animation from the extracted frames but change the dimensions of the output file......its 3 times too big so maybe around 33% of the original size would do it?

I doubt this is a viable solution but its about all you can do if you haven't created it yourself.

Regards.
MrTom.

EDIT:
One other alternative would be to delete 2/3rds of the frame so...

Frame 1 keep...
Frame 2 delete...
Frame 3 delete...
Frame 4 keep...
Frame 5 delete...
Frame 6 delete...
Frame 7 keep...

...and so on and so forth...

Wouldn't be a smooth animation but it would reduce the size by 2/3rds whilst keeping the dimensions the same.

Last edited:

peta62

Guru
MrToM - would it be, in this specific case, possible to decrease colour space since it seems monochromatic ?

MrToM

Guru
I can see your logic yeah....but its hardly monochromatic....(If you count them you'll see it uses all 256 colours. :thumbsup:)

In order to get anywhere near 100kB the number of colours used can be reduced to 8....but the quality of the resulting image is probably just as bad as the OP has already achieved.

I guess if it turns out better it could be done sure.....without knowing what the OP has already done who knows?

Regards.
MrToM.

peta62

Guru
MrToM - yes, you are right, even monochromatic sephia ( if it is or if it could be converted to it as the least evil ) is multicolour in RGB, my fault.

Tom Mann

Guru
As Pete essentially suggested, one can reduce the file size substantially by reducing the color bit depth. For example, I was able get down to 117k by reducing the number of colors to 32 (from 256), reducing the size to 90px square, and a couple of other minor tweaks in the Save_for_web dialog (aka, "export" in CC2015) box:

I don't know if charmingcharlie will find the resulting quality too low, but it certainly is possible to achieve nearly a 3x reduction in size by doing nothing more than ingesting the (already) color quantized GIF into PS and re-saving it. Of course, if one had the original PSD file, the quality would likely be somewhat better (somewhat smaller color quantization errors) using the exact same settings on the original PSD file, but since that doesn't seem to be available, maybe this will satisfy the OP.

Tom M

Attachments

• dp-32-percep-no_dither-24loss-90pct.gif
    dp-32-percep-no_dither-24loss-90pct.gif
    116.5 KB · Views: 16
As Pete essentially suggested, one can reduce the file size substantially by reducing the color bit depth. For example, I was able get down to 117k by reducing the number of colors to 32 (from 256), reducing the size to 90px square, and a couple of other minor tweaks in the Save_for_web dialog (aka, "export" in CC2015) box:

I don't know if @charmingcharlie will find the resulting quality too low, but it certainly is possible to achieve nearly a 3x reduction in size by doing nothing more than ingesting the (already) color quantized GIF into PS and re-saving it. Of course, if one had the original PSD file, the quality would likely be somewhat better (somewhat smaller color quantization errors) using the exact same settings on the original PSD file, but since that doesn't seem to be available, maybe this will satisfy the OP.

Tom M

this is great omg! thanks so much, tom :)