What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with some Star Wars Recreation?

Hello!

I've got an image I'm trying to capture the effect of:
www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg

I'm trying to make a toy Tie Fighter have that washed out, basic sillouette, but can't get it right.

Here's my image:
m8ltOIK.gif

Any tips?
I really want to get better so I can create some good toy-photography composites.

Thanks!
-Pierce

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is just a simple and quick version done with your Tie fighter. It needs more work!
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.41.03 AM.png

It's just a matter of using your TF as a template to make selections from.
Fill the selections with colors from the BG image.
I turned the layers into smart objects and added a smart filter Gaussian Blur.
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.45.36 AM.png

This is after some Blur Tool work for blending. Again, needs more work.
Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.51.28 AM.png

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for your help!

It got me started, then after a while of messing around, ended up with this. Thoughts?

dbzuAzQ.jpg

Thanks man! It was great help!

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice work.

The ship in the background looks great, but it's a little too blurry. The ship in the foreground is not blurry enough and has some implied transparency. It should be one solid color.

Thanks!

How could I make that one solid color lay flat, and have some slightly transparent spots? Like, in the original photo from the movie, you can see light spots on the wings, etc. It just adds to the realism there. Also, the color is more matte. Any advice?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The light spots in the original are an extremely brilliant CGI depiction of the wavy heat lines caused by refraction. All refraction does is cause the wave like blurriness, it's not actual transparency.

In the example you posted, there are some slight color variations which you can add to your Ps version, chances are that this may just be an anomaly that occurred from the screen capture.

It could not hurt to try an emulate the color variations, just make them less pronounced.

I would create the silhouette as Sam instructed, then take a soft, low-opacity brush matched with the orange background and brush in some of that "transparency."