What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi! Newbie here. Having problems with gif.

miss.firestar

Hi! I trust you are all well :)

About me? I host the podcast and also create "tasteful artistic nudity" (hahaha I found that concept hilarious) Anyway...I am a artist and this is my first month working with Photoshop CC and as practice I am assigning myself projects...

Hence why I joined the forum...I had the great idea of making a bird fly with puppet warp and all is good until I turned the layers into frames to animate it...(see picture below).

How do I keep the background with the wings while the frames play one after the other? I have assigned each frame to a layer and nothing happens, the wings don't move up and down. Before continuing creating layers of the wings I want to see the speed and the effect in motion.

I followed this tutorial to select the wings

and for the gif I followed this https://later.com/blog/create-gifs/

THANK YOU in advance! Excited to be here and looking forward to learning!

xx
Arya

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 19.49.04.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Arya and welcome to PSG. Sorry that I missed this thread!

GIF's can be rather complicated, so let's see if we can get you some help.

How do I keep the background with the wings while the frames play one after the other?
Not exactly sure, I would have to see how you have the layers set up.
I have assigned each frame to a layer and nothing happens, the wings don't move up and down.
Again, I/we would have to see how you have your timeline set up and how it coordinates with the layers.
Before continuing creating layers of the wings I want to see the speed and the effect in motion.
One thing that would help would be for you to post a similar GIF that contains the movement that your trying to create.

It would really help if you uploaded (or linked to a hosting site) the PSD file that you are using for the GIF.

Edit: I just watched the video you linked to about making GIF's.................it's not a very good example of how to actually make them. There's a lot of misinformation.

Here is a simple flapping GIF that I quickly made....
FlyingFlappingSeagull_03small.gif

Each frame corresponds to a layer. In this case 4 frames corresponding to 4 layers.........3 different bird wing positions and one background.
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 2.21.22 PM.png

Frame 1 wings middle+BG. Frame 2 wings low+BG. Frame 3 wings middle+BG. Frame 4 wings high+BG.
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 2.24.34 PM.png

miss.firestar

Hi @IamSam !!

Thank you for the detailed reply! The example you sent is exactly what I want to do! Did you use puppet warp?

Find attached my layers and how my timeline looks, however, I also attached the final product so you see what happens, I press play and the wings don't move...:/ and I have the 8 layers all at the same time which looks weird...

How did you do for the layers to share the background once you are converting them into frames?

Edit: I attached each layer to a frame and still the same...I see that in your example each frame has a different wing position so I'm wondering what's not working.

Gratefully,
Arya

Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 16.13.43.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 16.14.00.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-14 at 16.13.48.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Arya! Didn't think I would hear back from you!

The example you sent is exactly what I want to do! Did you use puppet warp?
No. I just made a selection of the the wings, copied them to their own layers (x2), and then used free transform to rotate them. I did do some masking to help blend to the birds body which you would not have to do if you're using the puppet warp technique.

Find attached my layers and how my timeline looks, however, I also attached the final product so you see what happens, I press play and the wings don't move...:/ and I have the 8 layers all at the same time which looks weird...
Edit: I attached each layer to a frame and still the same...I see that in your example each frame has a different wing position so I'm wondering what's not working
Based on what I can see, you have all of the wing change layers on at the same time. The rule is......one frame (in the timeline) can only correspond to one wing layer and the background layer (in the layers panel). Once you move to the next frame, you have to turn off the previous wing layer and turn on a new wing layer (the BG layer can just be left on).

How did you do for the layers to share the background once you are converting them into frames?
Ahhhhhh.......this is a great question. If I were converting the wing layers into frames, I would turn off the background layer before doing so!

For me, I would only have the start wing layer frame turned on when I hit the "Create Frame Animation" button. I would then manually add the rest of the frame/layer combos by hitting the "Duplicates selected frames" button in the timeline menu bar and turning on/off the right layers.

However, you can use the "Make frames from layers" if you like. You will of course have to go through the timeline frames one by one and make sure they are coordinated to the proper layers.

Take a look at this VIDEO...............maybe it will help. Watch how he turns on and off the corresponding layers.