What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this effect in Photoshop?

hallowed

Hey! I want to make this effect (see attachment) only a little bit lighter. How can I do that? Blackwhite? Greyscale?
The picture is by me. The human there has a spotlight on him (darken bg, lighten him). I found that look and liked it while masking out in color range in greyscale mode.
Also I want the human to keep his color (red hoodie).

Thanks in advance!

photo.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome. Please post the original photo. Thanks.

hallowed

This is the photo before I went to colorrange -> preview: greyscale, selected the grey sky with fuzziness on 200

pic.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Is the guy/subject pasted into this photo? Do you have the original before any changes were made?

edit: The reason why I'm asking is that there is no need to use a "grayscale" mode. This should be done with adjustment layers.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see you have been visiting the forum and this thread but not responding.

Since I don't have the original to work with, I can't do much for the guy/subject in the photo. If he's not pasted in, he would have to be isolated with a layer mask.

But the rest of the image is easily converted to a non-destructive adjustable/editable black and white image just by using a Black and white adjustment layer.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.16.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 8.53.39 AM.png

The sky can be isolated and masked using your favorite selection process or tool. I used a quick channel masking process which allowed me to quickly create a perfect layer mask.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.12.28 AM.png

Using color range to select the sky is not the best method as it tends to select all similarly colored pixels that you would have to remove.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.09.25 AM.png

After applying the layer mask, you can use a Solid color fill adjustment layer below the masked photo layer to give you the ability to adjust the sky's coloration any way you like.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.02.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.15.16 AM.png

Dealing with the guy in the photo would require the original before any edits.

hallowed

Thank you already! No, it's not pasted in. It's just not so good masked (the hoodie was white actually). I'll try that out as soon as I come home.