What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this?

Hoogle

Guru
Create a new layer above photo and fill it with white

Reduce that layers opacity to the level you like

click and Hold the Text tool Icon and Horizontal mask Tool

Use a large font and type the letter you Choose and it should cut a text path into your white layer

Then you will have a selection click the apply layer mask and it will do the opposite to what you want so click the layer mask andpress cntrl + I to invert it. The tricky thing is to position it so I would do it slightly smaller than needed then transform the white layer for best results.

example.png

Last edited:

Hoogle

Guru
Sorry updated my post as I missed out an essential part of information

Hoogle

Guru
Actually on 2nd Thoughts the easiest way will be create a white layer

step 2 type your letter as normal using the text tool and transform it to how you want it

step 3 hold cntrl and click the layer preview icon in layers pallet on the txt layer

step 4 go to select > inverse

step 5 select the white layer and apply a layer mask

step 6 reduce white layer opacity

This way it will give you more control over the letter size and position to begin with and so much easier than using the text mask tool

No offense, but I would do this as simply as possible - no masking at all.

Type the letter and transform it to the size and location you want on a layer above your photo. Put a solid white layer in between the two. CTL+Click the text layer (not sure if you need to rasterize first...), select your white layer, hit the delete key. Delete the text layer, and drop the white layer to the desired opacity.

Simple.

Agent

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well.............if we're going for simplicity and functionality......this would be the best way.

1. Create a new layer. Fill with white, set opacity to 40% to 50%. Go to LAYER > CREATE CLIPPING MASK (or hold option/alt key and maneuver your cursor between the two layers you want to clip, the cursor will change then click).

2. Choose your text tool and type a letter. Position and size doesn't matter (this can be changed at any time).
Double click this layer which opens the layer styles. Under ADVANCE BLENDING, set your fill to 0 (zero) and in the KNOCKOUT flyout menu choose SHALLOW, click OK.
Go to LAYER > CREATE CLIPPING MASK (or hold option/alt key and maneuver your cursor between the two layers you want to clip, the cursor will change then click).

Done.

I you want to move the letter..............choose your Move Tool, highlight the text layer and move.
If you want to change the letter's size...........hit Cmd/Cntrl + T or you can double click the letters thumbnail in it's layer and make changes using the Character panel.

Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 10.57.08 AM.png