What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D How do I make a picture look 3D in photoshop?

Anna Hussie

For example, I had a picture of a man with a background, And I just wanted the man to be 3D?
how would I do that?

Last edited:

Ivan Skoro

Play with lightning, burn and dodge tool.
Try bevel and emboss for some radical effects.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Depending on your version of Ps, there's usually an easy way and a not so easy way. With that said, if you have CS5 Extended and the hardware to back it up you can always use the 3D tools to do what you want. If you want to isolate a certain portion of an image, photo. whatever you're probably best to use the quick selection tool located underneath the majic wand tool. I have found it to be the best tool to cutting out complex shapes such as a person due to the many lines and curves. Once your done with your selection, cut and paste (Ctrl +X, Ctrl + V for PC, don't know the MAC shortcuts) Now it's anyone's guess which of the 3D tools you might want to use from here on out. But I will say that you can do amazing things with the 3D Repousse tool located in the 3D menu of Photoshop Extended. Attached is the most basic of things that can be done with this option. Imagine what can be done with a little effort.

Attachments

• repousse.jpg
    repousse.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 141

annarobert

Banned
Hi Guys,
I am new one in Photoshop. I want to also learn this thing so anyone has tutorial or tricks for this so please help me. wait for good stuff.

Dataflow

Power User
Hi Guys,
I am new one in Photoshop. I want to also learn this thing so anyone has tutorial or tricks for this so please help me. wait for good stuff.

post an image that you think doesnt look 3D and someone might help and give advice.

Sometimes its easy to look at an image and say if it looks 2d or 3d but to describe or put in words exactly why might be a little bit more difficult than that. There can be a number of reasons that make an image look 3d or 2d even though essentially everything you see is on a 2d flat plane called you computer screen. So unless youre talking about stereoscopic or anaglyph images everything is in fact technically 2d. So the only thing we can do is to create the illusion of 3d. Okay so by now i assume you are more confused than what you were before starting this thread?! :p

But seriously lot of factors come into play here. How an object is shaded... how the lighting affects it... Perspective... Relation to other objects in the image... color... etc etc etc... bla bla bla... So once you start adding in these factors, your image will transform from a 2d looking image to a more 3d version. A simple example i just put together quickly below shows how adding shading or shadowing or lighting or whatever you'd like to call it makes a big difference in the following picture:
2d3dComparison.jpg

So in the same way you can try looking into these factors one by one and try applying it to your source image. That way you should get some results.

Here's another comparison of 2 superheroes in case my previous image was too boring for you. :p You can see how its pretty much the same frame but one is way more 3dimensional than the other.
superman.jpg

Paul

Former Member
I thought repousse was just for text?

Le Caire

Just for fun Paul, better write repousse because repouse means to marry again... lol

Paul

Former Member
Does anyone here know the answer?

Burned Ice

Power User
As long as she doesn't reply again, we won't know what she means, I first thought about 3D like the 3D in cinema's, you put on those weird glasses and it's in 3D

ChrisHPZ

Power User
I thought repousse was just for text?

Repousse can be used for graphics other than text Paul. Here's an image I made a few weeks ago that takes brush strokes made to look like a tree and then made 3D with the Repousse feature. I made this because I wanted to see if Photoshop's 3D capabilities could be used to match the other such "I can't afford that 3D application" type programs. My first time doing something like this, I was happy with it.

tree.jpg

rachnadsouza

Banned
Content aware patch and move are one of the biggest features we have been waiting for and it’s just about time we had them. Photoshop CS6 saves a lot of time that goes into image patching and re furbishing and not just that, it results in some stunning visuals.