What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How get this effect? [Dixit]

sinandrei

I am working on a drawing project in Photoshop, and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on tools that can help a drawing or photo look like a Dixit - card game - drawing. See attached:

dixit-1.jpg

thanks in advance,
andrei

You have to be good at art, as they were drawn by hand. They didn't do a drawing, then add an effect to make them look that way, they drew them like that to begin with.

Some people think that art can be taught, but I feel that you can learn behaviour- ie methods and theory, but you can't learn emotion or imagination, which is the difference between a picture and art. Of course everything is subjective, and I'm not paid for my views on art, so I shall just wish you luck!

Good point! I understand that they were neatly crafted this way, I was wondering if there is any tool can mimic this style on my drawing. I would not be suprised if there was no such thing, but hope remained.

I recommend the game btw.

I agree with Spruce of course.

As for fixing up an image to resemble this . . . you might try a few effects. I haven't got PS available at the moment or I'd give it a try.

I would make the layer a smart object. Then I would use a gaussian blur on it. Then you can use the blur mask of the smart object to selectively reduce or remove the blur as you would like.

I would use the smudge or liquify tool to soften and mix the colors in some places. Here and there you can add noise for the stippled effects.

You'll probably have make selections in many areas so that you can add special effects just to that spot. For instance, some of the noise is in BG only and not on the objects. You may want to alter hue and saturation to your photo image or use photo filters to give a subtle (or not so subtle) toning to the overall image or a selection.

You may want to create a BG and use a texture overlay and a colorful gradient to get an effect such as the card with the books. You can also add a texture, add a layer mask, then a gradient to alter the effect of the texture. Things like that.

That is just for starters. The only limits are your imagination and experimentation with color, filters, blend modes, opacities, etc. To do something like this truly demands that you know your way around Photoshop and have tried out many methods to create the effects. No matter how long you've been using PS (OK, I take that back for some of you guys/gals), tutorials can often suggest a hint or method that you might not have ever considered.

Anyway, if you want to post an image you have in mind for treating in the above manner, it might be fun for us to give a shot. I might have time when I get Photoshop up.

Dear ibclare,

Thank you for the detailed advice. I will hopefully finish the drawing in max. two days and will upload it here, it would be interesting to see what could be accomplished by a PS veteran :)

cheers, andrei

It's very nice, but because I don't see even the smallest suggestion that the horse actually owns a set of rear legs, in my crazy mind, I keep thinking it looks like a reversed-Centaur, ie, horse in front, man in back, instead of the opposite.

Normally, I would say, just laugh and forget about it, but it's odd enough looking that I think you should change it just enough to show a bit of the horse's rear legs.

It's hard to find photos of people standing that close to the rear of a horse, but I think you almost always see some trace of the horse's legs in back of the person, e.g.,
http://www.artandarchitecture.org.u.../79078b1597b926f1bacae7fc44ea5e7bc9152595.jpg
http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/76/Lieutenant_Godman,_5th_Dragoons.jpg

HTH,

Tom

Back