What's new

How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program?

Anna Hussie

I'm okayyy at drawing and painting. Not very good at making it look realistic though. I'm a sophmore in high school. I plan on taking drawing and painting classes at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) this summer. I have a great eye for color and laying things out though! My hobby is also photography. If I don't get very much better at drawing and painting what could I do for my portfolio?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Re: How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program

Your photographs... as early as now, you can start learning how to retouch them in PS. You say you have a great eye for color and layout, use it to your advantage in Photo Re-touching.

And there are those here who are ready and willing to help you out. You are, afterall, in a Photoshop forum....

Last edited:
Re: How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program

I can tell you from experience that practice, practice, practice will make you better at drawing.

And don't be afraid to cheat! Trace images your like, or use them as a reference. You don't have to create everything from scratch when you're learning.
I have been drawing for 20 years, and I just got a book from the library on how to draw hands (they drive me crazy in my cartoons!), and copied a bunch of sketches from the book!

Doodle, sketch and draw whenever you can.

My 2 pennies

Agent