What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program?

Anna Hussie

I'm okayyy at drawing and painting. Not very good at making it look realistic though. I'm a sophmore in high school. I plan on taking drawing and painting classes at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) this summer. I have a great eye for color and laying things out though! My hobby is also photography. If I don't get very much better at drawing and painting what could I do for my portfolio?

Re: How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program

Your photographs... as early as now, you can start learning how to retouch them in PS. You say you have a great eye for color and layout, use it to your advantage in Photo Re-touching.

And there are those here who are ready and willing to help you out. You are, afterall, in a Photoshop forum....

Last edited:
Re: How good do I have to be at drawing/painting to get into a graphic design program

I can tell you from experience that practice, practice, practice will make you better at drawing.

And don't be afraid to cheat! Trace images your like, or use them as a reference. You don't have to create everything from scratch when you're learning.
I have been drawing for 20 years, and I just got a book from the library on how to draw hands (they drive me crazy in my cartoons!), and copied a bunch of sketches from the book!

Doodle, sketch and draw whenever you can.

My 2 pennies

Agent

Back