What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator How in the world was this created??

halfpiint

Hoping someone might know how this was created because Illustrator's appearance panel doesn't give me a clue?:banghead:
ai file attached.
Thanking you so much in advance.
halfpiint

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 5.57.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 5.57.02 PM.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 2
  • stars composition.ai
    75.3 KB · Views: 3

ibclare

Queen Bee
I don't use AI so I can only suggest how it would be done in Photoshop and it would be easiest simply to make the star and cut out the jagged border on the bottom. Make a small star and duplicate it a hundred times! Or whatever, lol. Actually, I would save the original star, duplicate several layers of it, transform them, changing angles, etc., group them or merge them, then duplicate that and transform it. You can always add some individual stars here and there or remove some to make it look less cut and paste.Then transform them and move them where you want them.

Someone with AI experience will doubtless come on and correct me if necessary!

Hoogle

Guru
but the Layers panel does 1 star with 2 points edited paths then about 50 layers of small stars to mimic the original star shape

iDad

Guru
Doesn't illustrator have brunch called scatter brush perhaps it and set for stars, although I think that's still separate layers per star

hawkeye

Guru
Make a star and turn it into a symbol. Then use the symbol sprayer. In this case I also used the symbol sizer to make them different sizes.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 51

iDad

Guru
Symbol, Not scatter .....that's it! That is what I meant.

halfpiint

There should only be one layer and that's the star with scattered tiny stars around the bottom two points.
OOPS!! I'm so sorry, I uploaded the wrong vector file.
here's the correct file ....

Attachments

• stars composition-1object.ai
    67.2 KB · Views: 3

hawkeye

Guru
There are multiple ways to achieve most things. It's not so important how someone else did it, as is what works best for you. This was done in Illustrator. It, or something very similar, could likely be done in Photoshop but it would be much more time consuming.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 32

halfpiint

GREAT JOB HAWKEYE!:yourock:

and I agree it's the final results that should matter, but this is for a class assignment and I need to turn in an Illustrator file. :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering if somehow a brush was used to apply to the bottom of the large star. I'm going to give it a try and if I'm lucky will post back. Thanks for trying to help.
halfpiint

hawkeye

Guru
GREAT JOB HAWKEYE!:yourock:

and I agree it's the final results that should matter, but this is for a class assignment and I need to turn in an Illustrator file. :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering if somehow a brush was used to apply to the bottom of the large star. I'm going to give it a try and if I'm lucky will post back. Thanks for trying to help.
halfpiint

That is Illustrator...

halfpiint

Awwh, Glad to hear its illustrator..

Hawkeye, I tried creating a scatter brush using one of the stars and selected random spacing but if I draw a line
with the brush tool, the stars' spacing appears regular or fixed instead of scattered.
2 questions:

1. How do you edit a brush once you already created it?
I thought there was an icon at the bottom of the brushes panel but its not there now. I'm using Illustrator CC
2. How do you setup a scatter brush to appear scattered when you slide your brush?
curious minds need to know. Thanks
halfpiint

hawkeye

Guru
Awwh, Glad to hear its illustrator..

Hawkeye, I tried creating a scatter brush using one of the stars and selected random spacing but if I draw a line
with the brush tool, the stars' spacing appears regular or fixed instead of scattered.
2 questions:

1. How do you edit a brush once you already created it?
I thought there was an icon at the bottom of the brushes panel but its not there now. I'm using Illustrator CC
2. How do you setup a scatter brush to appear scattered when you slide your brush?
curious minds need to know. Thanks
halfpiint
Read my first post again, I have never even mentioned a scatter brush. It's done with a symbol.