What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clean a layers edges

Banayah

I have some gloves that look good when the background is white but when there is a dark background, I can see the edges are not clean and you can still see white.

What would be the best way to approach this issue?

Any assistance on what tools or techniques used to eliminate the white edges would be appreciated!

Glove Edges need to be cleaned.png

I'm assuming (terrible word) that you have the gloves on a separate layer on top of a black background (white edges are exaggerated):

1693335001402.png

With your gloves layer active, click on the image icon while holding down your Control (Command on Mac) key to select the image:.
You'll see marching ants around the image of the gloves tht includes the white fringes since they're part of the gloves:

1693335174928.png

Now go to your top menu, choose Select > Modify > Contract (I'm contracting by 8 pixels...yours will probably be less):

1693335426391.png

Click OK to select, then go to top menu again, click Select > Inverse:.
This now selects the areas surrounding the gloves including the white fringes:

1693335714197.png

Then click Backspace or Delete to remove the fringes - then Control + D to clear the marching ants:

1693336019422.png

If it's a mask giving you problems, you can use the same steps but working on the mask layer.

Other members might jump in with alternates but I hope this gets you started...

- Jeff

I'm assuming (terrible word) that you have the gloves on a separate layer on top of a black background (white edges are exaggerated):

View attachment 139618

With your gloves layer active, click on the image icon while holding down your Control (Command on Mac) key to select the image:.
You'll see marching ants around the image of the gloves tht includes the white fringes since they're part of the gloves:

View attachment 139619

Now go to your top menu, choose Select > Modify > Contract (I'm contracting by 8 pixels...yours will probably be less):

View attachment 139620

Click OK to select, then go to top menu again, click Select > Inverse:.
This now selects the areas surrounding the gloves including the white fringes:

View attachment 139621

Then click Backspace or Delete to remove the fringes - then Control + D to clear the marching ants:

View attachment 139622

If it's a mask giving you problems, you can use the same steps but working on the mask layer.

Other members might jump in with alternates but I hope this gets you started...

- Jeff
Just what I needed, no more white edges, Thanks!

Back