What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Combining shapes but get rid of dozen editable paths?

Pixel8r

Hi All.

I've created a logo in Photoshop by using 14 shapes. My goal is to combine these shape to one perfect master shape that I can fill and export to Illustator for vectorizing to pdf. My problem is when I combine these paths it creates one shape but all overlapping paths are included. What I like to see is only outline and cutout/subtract paths (no overlapping paths). Is this possible?

Last edited:
Yes. Highlight all shape layers, duplicate, merge. If you see overlapping paths on merged layer hit Command + H.

Well, I figured this out by myself.

1) select all shape layers and merge (in layers)
2) choose path selection tool (black arrow icon)
3) select all overlapping layers: click every shape individually edge of the path cmd + shift (select all one by one)
4) select path operations from top (two boxes together icon) > merge shape operations
5) you're done - you have perfectly combined shape with no overlapping or what so ever

Last edited:
Works both ways, depends on how many steps you want to add in there! :rofl:

Works both ways, depends on how many steps you want to add in there! :rofl:

That's true. What ever works, man...

Actually I finished my work in Illustrator by using pathfinder tool. But it's nice to know how to do this in Photoshop where I usually do all my prework if the end product is vector based.

Back