What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Make a Twisted Ring Overlay?

Jamous

Hey guys,

My friend had some artwork produced for a new music release of his.

Anyone got any idea how you'd go about creating that twist / bend / distorted effect around a shape?

Thanks again all :)

Attachments

• 10991335_888750731174968_8748954888090986257_n.jpg
    10991335_888750731174968_8748954888090986257_n.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.21.46 AM.png

I don't know if I can possibly explain how I manged to accomplish this effect. I did it using just the Elliptical Marquis Tool to create one shape that I then copied and rotated. I copied, rotated, and clipped the BG image to each shape. The last three shapes required layer masking. I also added the gradient overlay via a layer style.

I will try to explain better if you let me know what your skill level is with Photoshop.

I will add that the tutorial above is a much better way to do it.

MrToM

Guru
I was thinking along the same lines as Sam.....a duplicated shape with a rotated image in each one.

Looking at the example there is one 'crescent' shape which is duplicated and rotated by 72° each time...5 in total.

The image inside each shape is again just a duplicate of the background but for each 'shape' its rotated 30°....up to a total of 120°.

image_angles_A_01.png

You could use the pen tool, shapes, polygon lasso....any number of methods to create the initial 'crescent'.....after that its as Sam say's....duplicate, rotate, rinse, spin, repeat.

Once you have 5 unique layers each with a rotated shape on it you can then use those to create masks on 5 rotated background images...that is if you want to replicate the example exactly.

On trying this I couldn't get it 'exact' but if you look closely at the example it doesn't appear to be exact either.......the eye is fooled into thinking it all fits precisely....it doesn't quite, but its close enough.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

SCTRWD

Power User
If you have 3D tools in PS you can use them to make the ring.

Make a square shape and use Repoussé with X angle bend 360 degrees and some twisting(try 90, 180, 360... degrees) Add the Depth to make it bigger.

To add reflection use Reflection texture or Image Based light.