What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make effect of sunset

Vixit

Hello!
Please give me advice ... how to get a similar effect?
I would be grateful for links to some lessons, actions, plugin etc.

Thank you and have a good day :)

Attachments

• 04-12-2014 11-32-29.jpg
    04-12-2014 11-32-29.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 04-12-2014 11-27-09.jpg
    04-12-2014 11-27-09.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 0

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
There may be several ways to do this. What I have here is my quick take on it - a basic guide to help start you on your way. With this guide, play around with the layer settings and opactities to get a look you like.

Pay attention and take note of the visible contents in my layer palette so you'll know what's on it and whatever effects applied.....

Here's the image I've worked on....
sunglow01.jpg

The first step is to duplicate the background image and isolate the image subject from the background using the pen tool. Press CTRL+SHIFT+I to inverse the selection then apply a mask on the layer to hide the background....
sunglow02.jpg

One way to create a glow effect is use a large size, soft edge brush with white or preferred sunset red as your foreground color. Make your original background image and masked image visible, create a new layer between these two layers, and click a spot where you want your sun to be. The circle outline is the brush size I used. I've lowered the opacity of the layer as shown.
sunglow03.jpg

I added a Contrast/Brightness adjustment layer to the backgound to brighten it a bit and add a bit of contrast.
sunglow04.jpg

In the following, you have a choice to use the original background or a different one. I dragged in a new background.....
sunglow05.jpg

I duplicated the sunglow layer created earlier and moved it to as the topmost layer and lowered the opacity.
sunglow06.jpg

A Color Adjustment layer was added to the masked surfer image to color correct it with added red on mids and highs to simulate the ambient light of the new background.

sunglow07.jpg

For effects , I added a lens flare (In MENU>FILTERS>RENDER>LENS FLARE). Create a new layer as shown, fill with 50% gray. Run the lens flare filter and play around with the settings. When done, set the layer mode to MULTIPLY
sunglow08.jpg

Finally, I duplicated the masked surfer layer, moved it up on top of the lens flare layer and grouped/clipped these 2 together as shown. Doing this, gives an added effect which I find good...LOL.
sunglow09.jpg

There you have it..... a basic run through. Hope this starts you off......

Others have different ways. Just wait for their take on this and added assistance.........

Vixit

Thank you so much for your advices and links!
I attached file with my results :)

Attachments

• 05-12-2014 12-00-10.jpg
    05-12-2014 12-00-10.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 6

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The mountainside facing away from the sun should be darker most especially the ones closest to foreground.

Maybe for an image like that , I'd create a 3 layer mask selections for the sky, mountain range and skier in snow. You may have a wider variety of options to play around with adding effects , layer modes/opacities and maybe clipped groups.

just my 2 sens......

Tom Mann

Guru
If you want the effect to simulate colors more likely to be seen in photos of the mountains, you probably should select another color for the veiling flare. The only time you ever come close to seeing the red color that you selected is under relatively uncommon conditions called, "alpenglow". OTOH, it looks very much like much more commonly encountered horribly faded Ektachrome slides from 50 years ago, e.g.:
http://www.rhopkins.us/slides/ReadMe.htm
http://www.slideliquidators.com/2013/01/page/3/ (the Ansco and other brands of slide film fade differently from Ektachrome)
...or just go to Google Images and enter {faded ektachrome}

Tom M