What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to resize canvas permanently

tomnerobinger

Hello,

I am new to PS CC and I have to say it is amazing!

Now I got a question which is probably of a rather simple nature, but doing some Research on my own I wasnt able to figure out how to do what I want at all. The issue is as follows:

I have a Picture of a certain size let's say 3 Inch x 3 Inch. What I want to have is the same Picture smaller, that is e.g. 1 Inch x 1 Inch, but only in Terms of the canvas (not in Terms of Image size and I also don't care about the file size). So if e.g. I Change the Resolution, the Picture will be displayed smaller in Photoshop, but once I open it with another Picture Viewer (e.g. from Windows), it will be the same size displayed as before (3 x 3), but more blurry. This is not what I want.
Instead, the Picture should be opened in 1 Inch x Inch canvas-size, that is much less space used than before. How is it possible? I also want the Image relative to the original size, so it is not distorted.
I hope my Explanation was clear. If not, please feel free to ask.

Best,
tom

tomnerobinger

Take a look at this for resizing images: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLMbBBvHJ4

Hello Eggy, ty for the Reply but that doesn't get me anywhere. This is the Kind of Video I have watched at first. It Shows how to use 'Image size' in Photoshop. But as described above, this does not have the intended effect of changing the canvas.

You can try quickly by reducing the Image size of a random Image to 50% in relative terms of the original, and then open that Image 2 times: Once the original and the second time the adjusted one. The canvas will be exactly the same, with the second Image more blurry/zoomed in, so it is equal.
What I want is the second Image much smaller in canvas. This is not shown in your Video.

Best,
Tom

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Am I understanding you correctly?
You want the same image in the same proportions but smaller in size?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Tom

First Use Image > Image Size and change dimensions to 1 inch x 1 inch yet make sure Resample is unchecked. This preserves the pixels as is.

Second Use Image > Canvas Size with the middle square selected and set the canvas to 3in x 3in with the Relative Box unchecked.

I think this is what you want yet doing a little reading between the lines. You will end up with a 3in x 3in image with using the original pixels in the image and then pixels added to expand the canvas to 3in x 3in

Hope that helps

John Wheeler

tomnerobinger

Hello all, ty for your answers.

@Eggy: Yes, this is what I want.

Attached you can find a Little Illustration of what I mean. So basically imagine you have a photo in your Hand (printout). Imagine you would like to have the exact same photo, but smaller, in Terms of relative size. E.g. 50% smaller, and also as a printout. This is what I would like to achieve in photoshop.

So if I reduce the Image size, the Image doesnt actually get smaller in Terms of space. At least not, if I look at the Image with ironfanview before and after the Change. Ironfanview is a simple Freeware program to view Pictures. You could use anything for that purpose. The Image in my given example would still be 3 x 3, but more blurry (which makes sense, when I reduce the Resolution, but not the space taken).

I hope that makes it more clear.

@john: Maybe part of what you wrote is correct, I would have to check, But later on you are talking about a 3 x 3 final Image again, which is not what I want. Sorry if my Explanation was not clear enough,

Best,
Tom

Attachments

• target.png
    target.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Pick the command image/image size

Untitled-1.jpg

You'll see the dimension of the picture and the resolution (in this case 150ppi)
Choose percent from the drop down menu and choose linked 50% and leave the resolution at 150ppi
You'll end up with (I did put the two images side by side)

Untitled-2.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Tom
I hope your problem is getting solved yet it seems we may be going in circles.

If you are no closure to a solution, it might be best to get real specific with the exact conditions you are experiencing in the exact applications. The reason I say this is the viewable size and quality of the image depends on the viewing magnification that the application is using and it also depends on if it using the full image or the embedded thumbnail.

Eggy in the prior post shows how the same image can be viewed at two different sizes when you change the dimensions (e.g. in inches) and leave the resolution alone (same pixels per inch yet fewer pixels in the smaller image because it is less inches). If the smaller image is enlarged, it will be of lower quality because it has fewer pixels.

So maybe you can share the exact before and after images in a post or through a sharing site and we can take a look and see what is going on. Also, maybe along with that, some screen shots on PS (please note the magnification) and screen shot on the Windows photo viewer.

This should be a very simple problem yet I think we are all talking past each other partly because we are of the nomenclaure used. Please state both the pixel dimensions of your images before and after and the reported dimensions of the image in inches for the same before and after. That will really help nail down both what you are talking about and maybe more targeted recommendations for you.

Jsut a suggestion.

John Wheeler