What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Wrap Texts Around this Image?

No worries...glad it worked for you.

While I remember, when using 'Ctrl + T' be careful of the very tiny 'target' in the center of the box......this is the 'Pivot' point. Any rotation will be around this point but when 'moving' the whole thing its all too easy to accidentally click on that point and move it....any rotation will then be around the new location and not the original.

Just a warning....its easily done.
You can reset the point to its original 'center' position by using the 'Reference Point Location', top left of the UI.
Clicking any of these tiny wee boxes will re-locate the 'pivot' of the 'transform' box.....handy to know when it doesn't rotate about the center any more.

reference.png

As to PS 7 being old.....er....just a tad. LOL.
You've missed out on a whole Create Suite! (CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.1, CS5.5, CS6)
We're now into the 'CC' era....(CC and CC 2014).

So yeah, eight (ish) versions missed...not sure if 5.1 or 5.5 was unofficial or not but whatever....a few.

Larry (ALB68) has detailed info on deals for CC 2014.....if he doesn't reply just search for it on this forum....you're bound to find some info on it.

Regards.
MrTom.

Photoshop is now marketed via Adobe Creative Cloud and not in brick and mortar stores. It is a monthly fee based deal but actually a pretty good one. If you could buy a brand new version of PS in a box you would be looking at $600.00 or more. You can't even upgrade Version 7 due to it's age. But if your not interested in anything but Photoshop, they are bundling it with Lightroom for $9.95 a month. It goes up from there. You can get the whole suite of Adobe software for like $50 bucks a month. So for the cost of 1 new program, you can have $1000's of dollars worth of programs you can download and use as long as you pay your bill. Plus you get the upgrades and updates as they come out at no additional cost. I have the full suite and I really enjoy it.

Just fnished following video. OMG... these are perfect instructions! I just tried it out and got everything to work! Thank you thank you thank you!!

On Photoshop, Control T is now my best friend. :) I had no idea that was available before.

If there's any way to donate to this website I totally would. You guys have been so helpful!

So Is Photoshop 7.0 considered an old version? I thought the higher the number, the newer the version was. What is the newest version of Photoshop in case I want to consider?

Thanks you guys. MrTom, thanks for the warning. I haven't moved the inside dot but it's good to know that i need to be careful.

And ALB68, I will definitely keep that in mind and it will be awhile before I am in a financial position to do that. Good to know though.

Sorry everybody, can I bother you one more time? This isn't really a Photoshop question but more like a printer question. I just finished that poster you guys were helping me with. Now I need to print it. The poster's size is standard (594 x 841mm or 1701 x 2398 pixels). What kind of a printer is necessary for a poster? For something like this, would most people find a professional to print it (like a printing industry? What is that industry called?)? What are the chances of me knowing someone who has a printer like this at home or work? (I'm in Canada.)

Sorry, I am also a computer illiterate and know nothing about printers.

Now there's a question.

I'm going to start at the end and work backwards on this one.
I don't know about Canada but here in the UK the largest printer available off the shelf for Mr Joe Public to buy would print on A3 sized paper......if you can find one.

Most 'home' printers here tend to be A4, anything bigger than that is usually done by a 'print shop' or online. It may be different where you are but here that's kind of the trend at the moment....printing large images is now not so popular as it once was due to the ease and speed of 'social' networking and the advancement of cameras in mobile devices.

So, if you were resident here I'd say take it to a commercial printer, either locally or online.

Now, to the beginning.....brace yourself.

You say the poster size is standard....594x841mm....I wouldn't know if that is standard or not so I'll take your word for it.
You then go on to say its 1701x2398px......now this is where you could have a problem.....ready?

Most commercial printers, (Here in the UK anyway), will specify a minimum of 300dpi for the resolution of an image.
This isn't a strict value, anywhere from 200-300 is considered enough but generally as a guideline 300 is what people would call 'good quality'.

Now, without going into all the gory details about what dpi is or isn't lets take 300 dpi as the required resolution for your image.
Here's the maths:

Poster Size(mm): 594 x 841
Poster Size(Inch): 23.3 x 33.11
(We convert to inches as dpi is Dots Per Inch)

We now calculate the image dimensions needed in Pixels for that size of print, at that resolution.
Width(px): 23.3 x 300 = 7005
Height(px): 33.11 x 300 = 9933

Image size required = 7005 x 9933px
Quoted Image Size = 1701 x 2398px

It doesn't take a genius to see that you fall short on the pixels for a 'poster' sized print.....of a good quality anyway.

There isn't anything stopping you using the image as it is though, you can print any size image to any size but of course at the risk of not having a very good quality print.

So what can you do?
Two choices really....
#1: Up-scale (resample) the image to give you the pixel dimensions as I've calculated above.
#2. Convert the image to being vector based rather than pixel based.

Both are easy to do but both have their pro's and con's.

Up-scaling is usually avoided at all costs, the extra pixels are calculated, (made up), from the existing ones. There are many algorithms that can be used when doing this....some give better results than others so its trial and error to find which one is most suitable.
Although frowned upon, up-scaling has improved dramatically over the years and personally I don't think PS does too bad a job of it....it does depend on the original image and by how much you up-scale but generally you get 'reasonable' results.

Vectorising the image would be the best idea.....converting the artwork to 'scaleable' vectors removes the problem of 'not enough pixels' entirely, using maths to calculate where colours should be rather than assigning colours to specific pixels.
The problem there though is having the software to do it and knowing how to do it if you have it.
Adobe Illustrator is one such 'vector' based application.

If the two images you have already posted are the images you wish to print at 'poster' size then vectorising them would be the best thing to do. Being of 'block' colours and simple text both are ideally suited to vectorising.

So.......from what you've said that's your situation as I see it...
...Not enough pixels for a 300dpi print at the dimensions specified.

Thats not to say you couldn't still use it as-is but at 300dpi you'll get a much smaller print, or at the size you want a much lower quality print.

Regards.
MrTom.

Great explanation MrTom. I was about to do the same thing, I think, judging the content that it would work well being vectorized. Once done, you can make it as big as a billboard if you want. Let us know if we can help. We have capability to do that online or there are services, such as VectorMagic that do it also.

Thanks again. Helpful info here. I've attached the poster. Honestly, it's a black and white poster with just fonts and silhouette for a church event. I think I just want te size to be about 20 inches x 14 inhes (or 20 inches x whatever is propotional).

Does that change anything?

If you can help, I will go home tonight and attach the original size (what I indicated in my last post) and maybe we can vectorize? Thanks for the offer!

Attachments

• HWPOSTER copy.jpg
    HWPOSTER copy.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm going to work on this for you, When I get it finished I will send you a link where you can download it. I'll try this low res version and see what happens.
Thanks again. Helpful info here. I've attached the poster. Honestly, it's a black and white poster with just fonts and silhouette for a church event. I think I just want te size to be about 20 inches x 14 inhes (or 20 inches x whatever is propotional).

Does that change anything?

If you can help, I will go home tonight and attach the original size (what I indicated in my last post) and maybe we can vectorize? Thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
I'm going to work on this for you, When I get it finished I will send you a link where you can download it. I'll try this low res version and see what happens.

Oh thank you thank you! You sure you don't need it in the original size? The one I attached is only a shrunk version. I have the original size (standard poster size) at home which I can send you tonight.

Oh thank you thank you! You sure you don't need it in the original size? The one I attached is only a shrunk version. I have the original size (standard poster size) at home which I can send you tonight.[/QUOTE

Granted, the file was a very small jpg at about 72 ppi. You will hopefully be able to use what I did. It did not vectorize very well, for whatever reason so I went another way. This screenshot is of the actual print size shown in Photoshop just FYI. Go to this link to download a PSD of this that is 20" x 28 (proportional) at 300 ppi.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd8mcwe19mwrvxu/HWPOSTER copy prz.psd?dl=0 (Dropbox won't show a preview for a PSD, just hit Download)

View attachment 50314

Attachments

• HWPoster info.PNG
    HWPoster info.PNG
    335.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
LOL.....I was just trying that myself!

I guess it doesn't matter now but I was going to say check your dimensions for the PSD....you have it @ 20" WIDE! (Instead of High).

Whatever....looking good regardless.

Regards.
MrTom.

Dang, I thought he wanted it 20" wide. He's getting a vector too now so he can do whatever he wants. Did you look at the PDF?

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't with the vector and actually would be OK to downsample the PSD. The PDF is much better for the vector version.
LOL.....I was just trying that myself!

I guess it doesn't matter now but I was going to say check your dimensions for the PSD....you have it @ 20" WIDE! (Instead of High).

Whatever....looking good regardless.

Regards.
MrTom.

Dang, I thought he wanted it 20" wide. He's getting a vector too now so he can do whatever he wants. Did you look at the PDF?

Sorry for my late reply. I had a car accident yesterday. (I'm okay! All taken care of now.)

I am also sorry to tell you, ALB68, that my church leader has asked very kindly for me to revise a few things on the poster. I am really sorry to have wasted your time vectorizing that. I didn't know. :( I guess I should've refrained from posting the poster until I know it's finalized. Sorry about that. Thank you for your help. Appreciate your time in helping a small potato like me.

This isn't a problem HumblyLearning, just edit your poster as you have done before.

Let us know when you have done that and I'll take you through the steps of up-scaling the image so that it will print out at the correct size.

The image doesn't need to be a vector, when I tried up-scaling it earlier It came out fine.

Regards.
MrTom.

Edits will not be a problem. You can revise either one of the ones I gave you. No. It does not have to be a vector and the PDF can simply be opened in Photoshop.The PDF is better quality, cleaner. I noticed one thing about the one I sent you that was not a vector. Upon close inspection at high zoom I saw some faint black shadowy outlines on some of the characters. Did you by any chance paint the black in with a soft brush or did you have anti-aliasing turned on? If so, in the future, change your brush to a hard brush and turn off any anti-aliasing unless going to publish to the internet.
Sorry for my late reply. I had a car accident yesterday. (I'm okay! All taken care of now.)

I am also sorry to tell you, ALB68, that my church leader has asked very kindly for me to revise a few things on the poster. I am really sorry to have wasted your time vectorizing that. I didn't know. :( I guess I should've refrained from posting the poster until I know it's finalized. Sorry about that. Thank you for your help. Appreciate your time in helping a small potato like me.

Back