What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

image inside an image

dreamitup

Hey guys I'm new here.

I have never been taught photoshop and have always just messed with things and discovered what does what.

I have a simple question that everyone should know. I want to take a logo like oakleys or nike and shrink it and make the " oakley, nike " out of its own logo shrunk down to make the logo design made up of its own logo.

I have done this before but like I said I just mess with buttons and layers so I can't remember what I did to make that.

JgraphNet

Power User
>I want to take a logo like oakleys or nike and shrink it and make the " oakley, nike " out of its own logo shrunk down to make the logo design made up of its own logo.

You lost me somewhere in the logo-shrink-logo-design-out-of-itself-logo thing there...
But if you are trying to just scale down a logo: Put it on it's own layer - go Edit > Transform > Scale. Hold down Shift key and push or pull any of the corner points to scale width and height equally - or use numerics up in Options Bar. Confirm transform by hitting Enter/Return.
Shortcut for Free Transform = Ctrl/Cmd + T - and same procedure with corner points.

Mogsy

Do you mean like the below (very crude!) example?

swoosh.jpg
In which case I just used a stock image of the swoosh logo as a a template, selected it (Using colour range) and made a new layer from this, then more new layers and dotted them around the logo and then erased the red area at the end in the case of the 2nd example - And as JgraphNet says - use the transfrom tool to get the various sizes, orientation's etc...

You will hopefully be more design minded than me :) and you will have more time but that was the basic principle of how I done it

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum !

dreamitup

Thanks mogsy that is exactly what I was talking about except in my imagination they are A LOT smaller, so small that it almost looks like the logo is made up of dots but when looked at closely you can see that all of the dots are actually tiny logos making one big logo.

Sorry to be a complete newb but can you explain a little more step by step from the basics what you did? I'm not sure what it means to be a template or to select it using a colour range? Another reminder, I have always just played with it so I don't understand most of the common tools by there names.

I think I remember when I did it I shrunk it down and somhow copied it like 1000 times and basically filled a blank page full of the tiny logos and then moved that page over to the big logo and used some blending mode where the page with the small logos just showed through the big logo.. Not sure..

Thanks for the help tho. Promise I will catch on and not be this difficult much longer :)

Hi dreamitup Welcome to PSG

I've tried something

00_nike logo.png

don't know if is this what you are looking for

If this is the case:

first we need to create a custom brush whit the logo
- create the Nike logo using pen tool
- once created using the pen tool make a selection out of it "0Px Feather"
- fill it whit color any color but preferably "white"
- go to Edit>Define brush preset, than name your brush.

* The custom brush has been created, also you can use an image whit the logo and then extract it using channels, color range, refine edge etc.

Second part
- Create a new layer
- Create another selection using the very same path, that we made whit the pen tool at the beginning.
- Now feather the selection around 10 Px.
- Start painting inside the selection whit the created brush
then just use a gradient overlay or a solid color overlay to colorize the logo

* I've used.
color dynamics, to add a different color to every brush stroke.
And at last scattering to create a random tilt on brush strokes

* All of this setting you can modify under "Brush Presets"

I Hope this was helpful

TerryC

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Friend
reminder, I have always just played with it so I don't understand most of the common tools by there names.

Then I suggest you google "Basic Photoshop Tools" so when we explain how to do things you will have that basic information to be able to pick it right up.

Mogsy

No problem at all, happy to help!

Hmmmm if you want them a lot smaller then i would suggest using $1r's method to recreate this effect - One variation though on this I wouldn't create the logo myself using the pen tool imo, I would use a template of the original so it was spot on and I'm guessing you aren't familiar with the pen tool, if so, then even more so - Here's how I done my one step by step but that was under the assumption that you would be using much larger versions to make this up - But it is down to personal preference although my original way would be very time consuming!

1. Assuming you have your logo - Go to Select > Colour range (I used this because it was a high contrast image but you can use any selection tool you are comfortable with)
2. I filled the selection in red, purely for the fact that most of my smaller images were going to be black, you can save this selection (Select>save selection) for later when you drag your thousand mini Nike logos over!
3. Copy the selection (CTRL/CMD & C shortcut for copy)
4. Paste the buggers into a new document (Or you can paste them into the same one but for neatness would suggest a new page) like they are going out of fashion! (CTRL/CMD & V shortcut for paste)
Once you have your 1000 new layers then you can go about colouring them - resizing them etc... - (I would suggest when you have the appropriate size smaller one then you copy and paste this image a 1000 times rather than the full scale one!)

As I said this way wouldn't be for me with the scale you require and I would use the method $1r_M4x1mu$ provided - But it is horses for courses - Have a little play around with it - Photoshop is as much about trial and (A lot of...) error. Let us know how you get on.

Have fun !

JgraphNet

Power User
>I think I remember when I did it I shrunk it down and somhow copied it like 1000 times and basically filled a blank page full of the tiny logos

Easy way to do that is to define the logo as a pattern. With a pattern you can fill up an entire blank image in a few clicks.
Just a suggestion. If you want to try it out, here's a tutorial for you: Guide to Patterns in Photoshop