What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this PS too? and if so how to?

stOrM!

Ah found an oldskool logo somewhere on the net and wonder how and which what they created it?

looks like it where made in a 3d app to me but it can be reproduced in ps if you have the skill and time 8}

Rock on

Ah IC lets wait and see if someone can teach me? / us? %}

Storm, I don't think that there are many people who can teach you this. It's all about experience and not so much about a ready-made tutorial. I mean, trying to copy the idea is one thing, but starting from scratch... well that asks for a lot of talent ;)

If it was done in PS, trust me, then it would take more than just one book page to explain all the steps.

You have to know the restrictions of Photoshop and yes and even if it's possible in Photoshop, the question will be; is it worth all the efforts? Or should you just focus on 3D instead?

Yes, when you finish something like this you've learned a few techniques and more about Photoshop, but does it teach you a lot about creativity?

See, personally I rather spend my time on 10 smaller challenges, instead of spending the same time on how to create a 3D cell-phone; it teaches you techniques, but not art. I know, some people won't agree with me, but that's ok; we all have different ideas about this subject.

I do wish you all the luck to find someone who can help you with this ;)

I agree with Gaussian. It can be done in PS. You just reproduce the details you see. The queston is "Is it worth the time?" It might even take more than a book page of Layers.

Nope... no book of layers Bob... ;)

Do the new 3D Type tute i posted recently in the Forum Tutorials Board... against a black bg, use the Lens Flare filter or a 'sparkle brush' with 'gel' overlays to add colour to the 'lights'.
Add a Clouds layer above the lot and apply the FILTER>Diffuse>Anisotropic filter (FILTER>Noise>Median for PS6 users). Set the blend mode to Multiply, with a reduced Opacity.
The lighting effects filter should help you to add special lighting to the type.

This should get you quite close to that effect.

:B

Ok, maybe a small book. But there`s alot of reflections and refractions and detail stuff in there.

;)

Oh no, i completely agree Bob.

There's no way you'll get that exact effect in PS. At best, you can get a somewhat decent facsimilie... which is where i was going with my first reply. Guess the way i worded it came out the wrong way... sounded like i was thinking it was a piece of cake or something huh... DOH! [doh] [oops]

And actually Multiply looks like crap... use Screen or better yet, Lighten mode. ;\

Thats really nice :perfect:

I think its PS actually for 2 reasons,1 there is something funky happening in the left hand upper side of the T,and I think if it was 3d the edge bevels would be a bit more precise and the transparency and refection a bit more voulmetric,or the look of a volume material etc. jmo

Stu.

No I take that back that red lens flare is reflected in the letter no onto it.

Huh? not that best looking thought but hey it's the first try...

What I have much problems with are setting the inner color for the Lens Flare filter ...

stOrM!, the only way to get the lens flares right is to make them yourself. That's not as hard as looks though, I've seen people doing that several times ;)

I agree Gaus! seems to be the only solution for it I guess...

regards
s!

Yeah, I think that I have to agree that this is definitely a 3D creation (perhaps reworked in PS)... [confused] But, I agree with Mark that it can be closely (dependent on knowledge and skills of the creator) reproduced in PS. ;)

Hmmm... food for thought... experimentation... I would love to 'try' at least.

stOrM... very nice start! :perfect:

Mark
, what is this 'gel overlay' that you refer to???

That's not a bad start at all Storm. Keep developing it. :perfect:
Try using a sparkle brush for the light flare effect. Then put a soft white spot over the center of the sparkle.

I created a few specific brushes that look exactly like the lights in your example pic. They have the hot spot in the middle, the sparle type glare, and the circle around the center spot. I made a custom Vector Shape out of them so i could apply them at any size with good quality.

The trickiest part of replicating that image will be getting the "smokey" effect that it has. Experimentation will be in order to get that acap.

A 'gel overlay' is what i simply call a single layer filled with colour, and put atop a layer filled with shapes that need to be coloured. The colour layer is then set to Overlay, Softlight, Hardlight, Multiply, or another mode that allows the colour to be applied to the shapes below it.

Best thing to do too is to CLIP the colour overlay layer to the shape layer it sits above.

This method is an alternate to actually colouring the objects themselves. There are certain situations whereby colouring the objects directly is not practical. And that's why i use this method most times.

Thanx Mark!

Well "sparkle brush" where the hell I find one? I guess I need to create it myself?

What I did for the smoke which doen't look to good yet and need rework is, I did you're 3D Text Tut to create the Logo and later I've putted a new Layer ( BG Copy of the Black layer on Top of my Type Layer) I've added the Clouds Filter with for example green as my forground color, and deleted the Parts which aren't needed... Same for the other 2 Layers...
In these new Layers I apply'd the Lens Flares...

Then I changed the Layer blending mode to Lighten and lowered the opacity of all layers incl. the Type Layer...

Mark! Thats hard to understand for me what you ment by talking about the GEL thing!

BTW. Wendy would love to see you're try!!! :perfect:

regards
s!

Storm... here's some sparkle brushes i found somewhere... start with these and mod them to suit your own needs.

Keep at it, you're doing fine for starters.

I explained the "gel overlay" idea in my previous post.
BAsically you need to add a colour layer above your object(s) layer and set the blend mode to one that allows the underlying shapes show through, with colour applied to them.

I'd now like to make an append to this idea by suggesting people use a HUE&SAT Adjustment Layer instead of a normal layer. Adjustment layers won't add to your document's file size... normal layers do. ;)
It's all about "workflow" people! :perfect:

Ya... and i'd like to see Wendy try it first... as well as a few others. [slick]

Ok fine then... here's MY "first" try...

...and that's all i'm doin until some other jump in on this too. :p

PS: 8 layers total Bob. ;)

Mark?!

aweeeeeeeeeeeeesommmmmmmme ! as usual :D

ty... tyvm ;\

But i'm not going to explain anything unless more people try this out.
So don't ask! :rofl: :p

Back