What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's too hard to draw a basic line diagram...

andrewbee

I just want to draw a moderately complex diagram, but it seems that any time I want a new line not connected to a previous one I have to create a new layer to make a new shape. I could end up with 20 layers. Am I doing something wrong?

Related question: I can't figure out how to add more lines to an already created shape that's not closed, even after clicking on the last anchor point and then away from it like the help page says. Help?

Using CC 2017. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What tool are you using in your first question?

If your using the Pen Tool..............just hold the command key and click away from the last anchor point, then click again in a new location. This should allow you to create many unclosed paths on the same layer.

If you want to continue a path from an existing unclosed path, just click on the end of the path, this will reveal the anchor point, it should be dark. Your next click should create an new path and anchor point connected to the one you selected.

andrewbee

What tool are you using in your first question?

If your using the Pen Tool..............just hold the command key and click away from the last anchor point, then click again in a new location. This should allow you to create many unclosed paths on the same layer.

If you want to continue a path from an existing unclosed path, just click on the end of the path, this will reveal the anchor point, it should be dark. Your next click should create an new path and anchor point connected to the one you selected.

I'm using the pen tool, in Windows. I tried CTRL + click away from the last anchor point, which does indeed let me start a new shape. But, it still creates a new shape layer for each one. I guess this is how it's supposed to work?

I figured out continuing a path. It was what you said, but I had to use the direct selection tool to click the end point, then switch back to the pen to make a new line.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm using the pen tool, in Windows. I tried CTRL + click away from the last anchor point, which does indeed let me start a new shape. But, it still creates a new shape layer for each one. I guess this is how it's supposed to work?
On the shape setting yes...............on the path setting no, it will work as I explained. I createlines by using the Pen Tool set to path and then stroking the path with the Brush Tool

andrewbee said:
I figured out continuing a path. It was what you said, but I had to use the direct selection tool to click the end point, then switch back to the pen to make a new line.
When your using the Pen Tool, pressing command/control activates the direct selection tool within the Pen Tool.............like a shortcut.