What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lame questions about layers

rolld

Forgive the lame question but here it goes. Say I have a group, say for frequency separation, and I want to make a copy from background to do some spot healing, nothing shows up on that layer. Meaning my spot healing isn't showing up. If I try to move the layer order everything goes weird.

The only way for me to get this to work is Opt, Cmd, Shift, E, and put that on top of the group. But if I go back to a layer in the FS group, I can see my work that I'm doing on that layer.

Hopefully I explained and asked this correctly.

Thank you

Last edited:
Not a lame question at all.....although it is a little confusing.

What do you mean by "Copy from background"....?
What is 'background'...?

The original layer called 'Background'......in italics?

If you do then thats a special layer that is by default 'locked'....you cannot do anything with it.

You can 'Unlock' it although not very good practice.

Usually the process is to copy that layer and work on the copy instead, you can do this either by:

A. Drag the 'Background' layer to the 'Create a new layer' icon and drop it there.
B. RIGHT click the 'Background' layer and choose 'Duplicate Layer'.

Either way you should get a copy of the 'Background' layer on which you can work.

Is that what you need?

Regards.
MrToM.

Sorry I'm not explaining this correctly, long day lol.

In this example if I make a copy of the background, and try to do any adjustments to that layer, the adjustments do not show up. The only way to get a copied layer to work is do the cmd, option, shift, E thing and drag it above the FS group. But if a try to work within the group, the adjustments do not work with the copy layer above the group. If any of that makes sense lol.

View attachment 58613View attachment 58612View attachment 58613View attachment 58615

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 14
  • example1.jpg
    example1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OK....you've got a folder above that layer....is there a layer in that which is blocking your adjustments?

Turn off the folder and see if your edits show up.

Regards.
MrToM.

EDIT:
I'm sure you edited that whilst I was posting but reading it again I'm not really following you about the "But if a try to work within the group" bit.....what does that mean?

If you place the background copy ABOVE the folder then that's all you see.
If you place the background copy BELOW the folder then the folder is all you'll see.
If you place it IN the folder...well, I dunno because I don't know what's in it.

I understand you are trying to edit a copy of the background but how does it fit in with the rest of it?

Last edited:
I guess so cause when I turn off the folder the edits show up. But when I turn the group folder back on, the edits disappear. Its a frequency separation layers Whats the best way to do it then?

Or whats the best way to have a group, then make a background copy layer to do adjustments on?

Edit: Sorry I'm getting confused now lol. Lets try this. Whats the best way to make another editable layer while you have a for instance a frequency separation folder consisting of 2 layers within that group folder.

OK....you've got a folder above that layer....is there a layer in that which is blocking your adjustments?

Turn off the folder and see if your edits show up.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
Place the background copy IN the group....at the bottom of it.

FS needs blending modes to work but it also needs the layers to work on.

To be honest I've never seen or needed to have that in a folder as its normally the only operation I'd be doing.

Once the FS was done I'd then Stamp it to a new layer and continue from that....if I needed to.

You can have a blending mode for the folder if that helps, or add a mask to it but generally having a copy of the background is the more usual.

Regards.
MrToM.

Ok Ill try that. Thank you.

Edit: I put the background copy in the group at the bottom and the edits do not show up. Is it not possible to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

Or when I do the FS adjustments just flatten the layer, then make a background copy and do the edits?

Place the background copy IN the group....at the bottom of it.

FS needs blending modes to work but it also needs the layers to work on.

To be honest I've never seen or needed to have that in a folder as its normally the only operation I'd be doing.

Once the FS was done I'd then Stamp it to a new layer and continue from that....if I needed to.

You can have a blending mode for the folder if that helps, or add a mask to it but generally having a copy of the background is the more usual.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:
What is it you are editing that doesn't show up?

Whats in the FS folder?

What are you trying to do exactly that needs a folder?

I appreciate you may be tired and its late and all that but clear concise descriptions of what you have, what you want, and screen shots of ALL your layers and any blending modes they have is going to help 10 fold.

Just stating that the 'edits' don't show up could mean anything.

You may be trying to do the impossible yes, but nobody can offer a sensible suggestion if they don't know what they are dealing with or what the ultimate goal is.

Don't take that the wrong way....its just that it may all seem blindingly obvious to you but anyone reading it....well....its guesswork at best.

Show us what's in the folder and I'm sure we can work it out for you.

Regards.
MrToM.

Yes I know I'm all over the place and totally understand.

I'm not totally sure what the two layers it makes in the FS folder since it's and action. But there is the screenshot.

But I would like to have the FS layers, and be able to make another layer to edit, for instance, spot healing, clone stamping, and have those edits show up without having to flatten the FS layers.

Hopefully that makes more since. If not I made to just get some sleep and start over.

example2.jpg

Ah.....right....thats better!...(Looks like you're a layer missing!)

Actions rarely work 100% as you've no idea how they were recorded and rely heavily on having EXACTLY the same layer names as when recorded.....but all is not lost!

Check out this video on Frequency Separation....do it manually, you'll learn WAY more than just using an action...its not a frightening as it looks.

Once you have THAT sorted then maybe the rest of what you want to do will fall into place but to be honest what you've described in terms of editing I'd do first....THEN the FS.

See how you get on with that and if you still have difficulties just ask.

Regards.
MrToM.

Actually I made the action from those steps he did in the video.

I guess it may be better to do as you suggested. Just do any healing, ect. flatten layers and then do FS all alone.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Edit: Here's a better question. Open and image, make two copies, then use the healing brush on layer 1, the edit doesn't show up. But it does on layer 1 copy when I use the healing brush. Why is that?

layers.jpg

Last edited:

Back