What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

laugh it up newbie question

Hoogle

Guru
OK here it is can you print white colours I am doing a canvas design for someone which is actually going on a black canvas She is printing it herself and has a canvas printer But I am not sure if you can actually print white itself. Nor do I know how a canvas printer works would it be like an inkjet printer with maybe 4 colour ink supply you know black cyan magenta yellow or maybe a 6 ink system or will it have a different system with BLack and white as seperate inks plus a range of colours.

Hoogle

Guru
Oh and yes the logical workaround if it is not possible is to revert back to white canvas and print a black background but apparently that would cost a fortune in Ink and would bleed the edges to much.

Paul

Former Member
Read this H

When printing neutral B/W prints, a very large range of grey shades is required. The greater the number of shades that the printer can create, the smoother the printed image will appear.

To create these shades, colour printers mix black ink dots with yellow, magenta and cyan ink dots. The problem with this technique is that the print tends to display a colour cast, which changes when moved between different light sources. The print may look fantastic in studio lighting, but may appear green or magenta when hung at home. This is part of a phenomenon known as metamerism.

Some companies will tell you that their new Epson K3 inkset printers can generate perfectly neutral black and white prints. This is simply not true. A high resolution scan of images printed shows a mixture of black and coloured dots. The K3 inkset contains 3 channels of black ink. This does not compare to the 6 channels employed by our dedicated B/W printer.

Link Brilliant Prints - Photo on Canvas, Black and White Canvas Printing
I hope this helps?

Hoogle

Guru
the request is for a canvas that is black and they want pure white not grey I just tested printing white on black paper no go in fact no colour seems to print on black the work around is print on white but have your image as black background which printing solid black on a 15 x 8 feet canvas is just not possible. And I do not know if her printing system includes the epson K3 INK system.

Black and white printing is all very well on white media sources ie paper canvas etc because obviously the white is already there but printing on black seems to need special equipment so I am guessing she has to change the design or go to a proper printers.

Paul

Former Member
From my link H - Some companies will tell you that their new Epson K3 inkset printers can generate perfectly neutral black and white prints. This is simply not true. A high resolution scan of images printed shows a mixture of black and coloured dots. The K3 inkset contains 3 channels of black ink. This does not compare to the 6 channels employed by our dedicated B/W printer.