What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layer Alignment with Text Box Rather Than Text

Hi, I'm not new to Photoshop, but I never addressed a concern I've had.
It always bothered me that alignments were done to the edge of a text layer's box, and there was no option to set the box to "hug" the text or occupy it entirely. This way, when I align with another layer, I would be getting a precise systematic match. Anyway to achieve this? Hope my post was easy to understand. I'll attach a picture.
Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 7.44.43 PM.png
Ah so as you can see in the picture, it appears it is aligning to the bottom of the text on the right, but it truly isn't. That is just the bottom of the box. That is precisely the issue that bothered me.
Thanks for any advice guys!

TripleYoThreat

EDIT: Here I'm attaching another picture showing exactly what I'm referring to, that if the box isn't conformed, I have to manually do it, which also can be a few pixels off.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 7.57.56 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time understanding your question. What exactly is it you are trying to achieve?

TripleYoThreat said:
It always bothered me that alignments were done to the edge of a text layer's box, and there was no option to set the box to "hug" the text or occupy it entirely. This way, when I align with another layer, I would be getting a precise systematic match. Anyway to achieve this?
The paragraph align options are, align left, align center, and align right so any text within a text box will align to one these three options. I'm not sure what you mean when you state that you want the the text box to hug the text or occupy it entirely. You will need to explain this further.

Please explain systematic match.

Ideally, there's a button I could click which would make the text box occupy the next contiguous pixel next to the text. Or maybe the last pixel of text itself. So that when I align it with another layer (not paragraph alignment but layer alignment at the top with the move tool) it aligns accurately. Systematic match in the sense that the software would be choosing a pixel closest to the text, closer than I can get when I do it manually.

Ideally, there's a button I could click which would make the text box occupy the next contiguous pixel next to the text.
What does this mean? (I'm very sorry that I'm not understanding your dilemma, I just don't see the problem, I apologize)

Have you tried NOT using a text box? I hardly ever use them myself. This would allow you to align the text exactly where you want it.

To place text without using a text box simple select the text icon and click to place rather than clicking and dragging to define a box. You should then be able to use the align horizontal and vertical tools in the move tool to align the base lines of the inserted text.

Cheers

John

Thank you! That's precisely what I wanted. Now is there any way to remove a text box from a text layer so it'll be free as if I clicked to place like you said?

You could always try highlighting the text in the text box, copying it to the clipboard with ctrl +c. Removing the text box, then place a text marker dawn and press ctrl + v to paste it down again.

Cheers

John

Just a few seconds before this comment I figured it out! I right clicked the layer and clicked convert to point text. It is now aligning perfectly. Thanks all. Problem solved.

Back